Matt Hughes: GSP beats Silva, should be at 185 for title

source: bjpenn.com

Matt Hughes recently appeared on BJPennDotCom Radio and discussed Saturday's GSP vs. Carlos Condit, and the looming superfight with Anderson Silva that could follow it.

“GSP has a tough fight coming up against Condit on the 17th, but if he has got his timing down I think he will get his hand raised that night,” said Hughes. “I’m not sure what Condit can do to have his hand raised, I don’t know what kind of game plan he can come up with. To be honest with you I don’t think Condit has the necessary tools to beat St. Pierre.”

“I really believe if GSP and Silva fight Georges will have his hand raised. I have a lot of respect for Georges having lost to him twice. GSP is not a great wrestler, but he transitions so well from striking to wrestling that he will be on Silva’s legs before Anderson even knows what’s going on. I believe Georges is that quick and I don’t think Silva will be able to do a whole lot with Georges on top of him.”

“Georges is going to be in great shape, he always is and I don’t think Silva would be able to use his weight advantage on GSP to try and tire him out. If anyone will get tired I think it will be Silva because he’s not going to be in the positions he wants to be in. Georges will put him in some bad situations and I think GSP will do well in the fight and walk away the winner.”

“If I was Georges I would tell the UFC if they want to make this fight between the two of them they should contest it at 185lbs. and Silva should put his title on the line. If Georges is going to fight Silva he might as well add the additional weight and try and get a belt out of the deal. That’s the way I would look at it, the price for me would be an opportunity to unify the two titles. I just wonder how long GSP would need to get his body prepared to make the move to 185 would it be a year off. It would be interesting to see how much time he would want. I wonder how hard his cut to 170 is, if he’s having a hard time then maybe it’s time to move up to 185.”

Read entire article...

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

Atkinson site profile image

11/12/12 8:54 PM by Atkinson

Not butt hurt in the slightest.. Saying anyone could beat Anderson Silva 10/10 times is just delusional. de-lus-ion-al.

BlackBelt2012 site profile image

11/12/12 8:35 PM by BlackBelt2012

Gsp has always said he would need time off to put on weight to move to 185. They kept putting guys in front of him. To say that Shields wasn't a worthy contender is garbage. He beat Hendo at 185. Anderson on the other hand has completely refused to go up to fight Jones.GSP is a company man. He fight who the UFC wants. He does not dick tuck. At a catch weight without allot of time or 185 with proper time GSP exposes the dick tucker that is Anderson Silva since he won't let Weidman or Jones do it.

ssj site profile image

11/12/12 6:55 PM by ssj

Theres all this talk about GSP taking down Anderson but Anderson will just rock and drop him ala Serra except Anderson's striking is on another planet ..And theres 5 rounds, so 4 guaranteed standups for Anderson so ..Also lol at Anderson's cardio comment, the MAN was as fresh as daisys in the fifth round of the Sonnen fight, his cardio is unquestionable.

Goderson Silva site profile image

11/12/12 4:35 PM by Goderson Silva

BOOM

jaseprobst site profile image

11/12/12 4:32 PM by jaseprobst

Getting physically adapted to make a legit run at 185 means putting on considerable size. I don't blame GSP for having caution about it. The knee injury is a major question mark. right now he has been a perfect balance between size, power and stamina at welter - moving to middle fucks a lot of that up. and the knee thing is a major hurdle. i wouldnt be surprised if he loses to condit or performs in such a way that a Silva bout is no longer viable. ACL is an injury NOBODY comes back "better" from. he mentioned getting dominated in the gym when he returned. he has also had a lo of injuries overall in a long career. he may be on the downside physically.

Rickson's Aura site profile image

11/12/12 3:24 PM by Rickson's Aura

Saying that GSP is not that great of a wrestler is a typical response from America wrestlers that fight in MMA like Hughes, Fitch, and Koscheck. They are bitter and it's hard for them to accept the fact that after all their years of doing wrestling in high school and college, they get taken down, outwrestled, and controlled by a Canadian guy that never wrestled before doing MMA professionally.

ChokeEmOut site profile image

11/12/12 2:14 PM by ChokeEmOut

Hughes is so full of shit! He is just song that to make himself look good

le site profile image

11/12/12 1:59 PM by le

I don't recall him saying he never wants to fight Anderson. He's always just said right now he has too much work in his own division after such a long layoff. Taking personal feelings out of the equation on wanting to see this super fight myself, he does have a point. WW div is a hungry pack of wolves right now. Let him return to champ status before he fights another champ.Anderson needs to be fighting JBJ anyway, before Jones goes heavyweight and the size difference is too great.

UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up site profile image

11/12/12 1:55 PM by UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

This

UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up site profile image

11/12/12 1:54 PM by UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

^^^^^ How would it go down at 177.5?