Rousey camp responds to Cyborg MD weight cut talk

by Erik Fontanez | source: sports.yahoo.com

With the news that the UFC had signed Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate, talk immediately turned to Cris "Cyborg" Santos, who can apply next month for a license to fight, following a year suspension for PED use. However, Cyborg's camp said recently that following a meeting with her doctors, Santos will not be able to make the 135 lb weight division.

Ronda Rousey's manager Darin Harvey said that he isn't buying it.

"If you ask five doctors, you'll get five different opinions," said Harvey. "I guarantee you, you can find doctors that'll say the weight cut will be fine."

"It all depends on what side they're working for. It's her doctor. If you're going to trial, I can find a professional witness to make you look innocent or make you look guilty."

"I don't want to see anyone get hurt long-term … but my personal belief is she can lose the weight. She would just prefer an advantage to fight at 145 pounds. And I think we have the advantage at 135."

"At the end of the day, it's up to Ronda," Harvey said about Rousey moving up in weight. "I would advise against it because I would like to do everything to get Cyborg down to 135 pounds, but I know it's the fight the world wants to see.

"I think it's a million-plus Pay-Per-View fight, so we have to take those things into consideration."

Read entire article...

UFC Women\'s Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

UFC Women's Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

stonepony site profile image

11/17/12 12:35 AM by stonepony

Yeah, everything is so unfair for chronic habitual cheaters. They should really change the rules to accommodate fighters who want to cheat. Make it fair. Make it easier for them to cheat without consequences. I think that's what we're all talking about right? They should fine Ronda. Take some of her money, to pay Cyborg for the pain and trauma of having to stop cheating her ass off. Because it's so unfair and unreasonable to expect a cromagnun woman to stop cheating. I wonder if there are any charities we can donate to to support oppressed cheaters? Is there a little rubber bracelet I can buy to give money to people like Cyborg? The inscription could be something like I <3 and then a big squirting hypodermic needle.You really changed my mind on this one Evie... *blank stare*

Daverr site profile image

11/16/12 7:42 AM by Daverr

lol, not even close??? remember rhonda is 2 inches shorther than cyborg, how can you even say they arent clse in size? Have youseen rhondas arms? they are almost the same as cyborgs.. if you think 5 8 and 160lbs and 5 6 and 150lbs isnt even, close, i guess you wouldnt be one of the posters pushing a 40 lb smaller gsp to fight anderson right??

FingerorMoon site profile image

11/15/12 11:00 PM by FingerorMoon

Once upon a time, the idea of Vitor Belfort making 185 was absurd.

LilBrockonmychest site profile image

11/15/12 5:24 PM by LilBrockonmychest

I should clarify.  There aren't 4 women fighters that are known by the casual fan.  Also, 2 of the fighters you mentioned there cannot make 135 so I guess since the UFC thinks there are only enough female fighters to have 1 division, they can never be in the organization.

Evie site profile image

11/15/12 5:08 PM by Evie

That is totally not true. Rousey, Tate, Marloes, Cyborg, Gina, Kauffman and Kedzie aren't the only female fighters out there, just the only ones the UG talks about with any legitimacy ;)

tbi0904 site profile image

11/15/12 5:05 PM by tbi0904

And I'm gonna repeat they aren't the same size. I don't know where you're getting that from. Look at Cyborg's last fight (where she weighed at a roid and testosterone fueled 152) and chubby Ronda (at 154) and tell me how they're the same. Maybe if Cyborg laid off the testosterone and winny she might be closer in size but right now it's not even close. I still think they'll fight at a 140 catchweight sometime next year.

Nucky site profile image

11/15/12 5:05 PM by Nucky

I take it you missed the vide of Cormiers olympian rassling team clowning him and telling him he is going to weight 320 pounds in 10 years when wrestling is over, hes 240+ now when he trains so if he didn't have MMA he would prolly be around 300+ so lol @ him ever weighing 205 for an hour or 2.

UGSlapshot site profile image

11/15/12 4:58 PM by UGSlapshot

She can take some mass off, you can try to explain until you're blue in the face that cutting weight for a fight is not the same as cutting mass at her walk around weight but some ppl are willfully ignorant.I'm not sure what Arnold Schwarzeneggers weight was at the pinnacle of his career but its similar to saying he couldn't lose ten pounds. The reason Cyborg wont drop bulk is because she doesn't have enough bulk to drop without losing core strength. It would require her to change her training and diet but she could still do it.If she wants in the 135 division that's what she'll have to do. Otherwise she's going to have to go fight someplace else.

LilBrockonmychest site profile image

11/15/12 4:45 PM by LilBrockonmychest

I agree...I think at least have a 4 (wo)man  tournament at least brings some legitimacy to the belt like they did with the 125ers.  I guess they'd probably have trouble finding 4 women to compete for it.

Neil Funk site profile image

11/15/12 4:41 PM by Neil Funk

not enough attention paid to this. Quality post, excellent insight