Nick Ring vs. Costa Philippou cancelled, fighters get show money

source: The Underground

UFC 154's main card fight between Middleweights Nick Ring vs. Costa Philippou has been canceled. UGer and Ring's coach Brian Bird has the details.

rom: Zaba the Zulu
Posted: 41 minutes ago
Member Since: 1/1/01
Posts: 545

Very bad news regarding Nick Ring's fight. He has been pulled from the card by UFC doctor orders. Nick became very ill in the middle of the night. Likely from a virus that took over from a weakened immune system from cutting weight. I saw him early in the morning and it was clear he was incredibly sick. We called the UFC officials and they brought in their doctor to inspect him and after made it clear he is not ok to fight. Nick is resting in bed on IV at the moment. Nick never asked to pull out and was very concerned with letting down, his friends, fans, the UFC, and his opponent Constantinos Philippou. This really sucks but safety comes first.

The only good news is his moustache still looks good. :-)

I will keep you all updated on his progress.

Read entire thread...

At the post fight press conference, UFC President Dana White announced that both fighters were awarded their show money.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

TapouT Infant Girls Logo Socks 2-Pack

TapouT Infant Girls Logo Socks 2-Pack

MMAWarehouse.com 13 inch Vinyl Transfer

MMAWarehouse.com 13 inch Vinyl Transfer

tags: Nick Ring (detail)  Costa Philippou   UFC 154

WALLSTREET_WRESTLER site profile image

11/18/12 11:52 AM by WALLSTREET_WRESTLER

i cut weight since i was a kid...there is proper way of doing itRing had months to prepare, his unprofessional way of doing things should have gotten him ZERO

Zaba the Zulu site profile image

11/18/12 7:54 AM by Zaba the Zulu

I visited Nick after the fights and hewas still in bed but looking much better. He is obviously disappointed but has a good attitude about the situation. He plans to be back training ASAP and hopes to book another fight right away.

Bentleysuper8 site profile image

11/17/12 7:44 PM by Bentleysuper8

Not quite the same but here's Nick Ring's first pro fight in Lethbridge Alberta vs Bill Mahood. Doubt many people have seen this vid.

SJCOTTON site profile image

11/17/12 4:40 PM by SJCOTTON

This is shitty! But of the reason I boutgh the ppv was so I could feel a poo bro

youarewhatiswrong site profile image

11/17/12 4:38 PM by youarewhatiswrong

Not sure how the Loiseau thing would work, they're not going to let him weigh in same day, right?

3 Sided Square site profile image

11/17/12 4:35 PM by 3 Sided Square

Well, at least when my friend asks me how I knew the fight was off, I can say "a bird told me".

DoomFarmer site profile image

11/17/12 4:29 PM by DoomFarmer

Fuckin' awesome

fishyfish site profile image

11/17/12 4:28 PM by fishyfish

ttt 4 the Crow! Dana, make it happen!

DoomFarmer site profile image

11/17/12 4:28 PM by DoomFarmer

Really looking forward to this fight.Wonder how Phillipou is going to deal with the blue balls from not being able to fight.

FedorEmilioEstevez site profile image

11/17/12 4:27 PM by FedorEmilioEstevez

Was really looking forward to this fight. I hope Costa gets another fight ASAP and nick recovers completely and quickly.