Garza survives early enslaught, grinds out Hominick

by John Morgan | source: mmajunkie.com

For a moment, it looked like Pablo Garza was done.

Yet after absorbing a crushing first-round bodyshot that send him toppling to the floor, Garza came back to dominate Mark Hominick for the remainder of their fight and claim a unanimous-decision win.

The featherweight bout opened Saturday's UFC 154 main card at Montreal's Bell Centre. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Pablo Garza Vs. Mark "The Machine" Hominick
Fight was scheduled for 3 rounds (5x5x5)
Name Pablo Garza No Headshot Available
Height 6′ 1″ (185.42 cm)
Weight 155 (70.31 kg)
Record 11-3-0
Team
VS
Name Mark Hominick <a href=Mark Hominick" src="http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/method=get&rs=100&q=75&x=0&y=0&w=90&h=120&ro=0&s=14B0462A-1D09-6BFC-E5B4096F8E5AE551.jpg" />
Height 5′ 8″ (172.72 cm)
Weight 145 (65.77 kg)
Record 19-10-0
Team Team Tompkins
Pablo Garza defeated Mark Hominick by Unanimous Decision (29-27, 30-26, 29-28)

Headrush Night Reaper Shirt

Headrush Night Reaper Shirt

Headrush Veni-Vidi-Vici T-Shirt

Headrush Veni-Vidi-Vici T-Shirt

MattyECB site profile image

11/18/12 1:50 PM by MattyECB

I agree and if the UFC doesn't cut him, I think that means they'll want to build him up, so I'm hoping for a gimme fight and a rebound

MattyECB site profile image

11/18/12 12:53 PM by MattyECB

I was happy Rogan pointed that out, it pissed me off too and I'm no BJJ expert. I really think, hell I'd say I know, that Hominick is better than he's been fighting. Besides having a paper face -- and not just cuts like a Fedor, but in terms of hematomas, eyes shutting and cuts -- he's got an incredible stand up game to go with his well rounded wrestling/grappling game.He's gonna get the next win if he can stay in the UFC

MattyECB site profile image

11/18/12 12:51 PM by MattyECB

Hominick is the perfect example of a fighter that you cut when you HAVE TO, not because you want toAlways exciting, incredibly game, and tons of potential if he can snap out of this slide. Unless his loss streak gets so bad it starts to make other fighters pissed and the UFC uneven in their cuts, they're going to want to keep him on, and rightly so

GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE site profile image

11/17/12 11:01 PM by GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

looks like swelling is gonna be bad

Trick or Truth site profile image

11/17/12 10:52 PM by Trick or Truth

For GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

UGCTT croy_00 site profile image

11/17/12 10:43 PM by UGCTT croy_00

Sigh. Feel bad for Mark. Guy has had a rough run of it the last couple years. Sadly he is pretty much guaranteed to be released from the UFC. I hope he takes some time and gets his head straight and is back better then before in no time.

Team Alpha Snail site profile image

11/17/12 10:41 PM by Team Alpha Snail

I know exactly what you mean it wasn't Aldo's finest hour what so ever yet he still won and created that huge lump on Hominicks head. Despite his size I thought Hominick was going to bring it as his job depended on it tonight and he beat some impressive names on his way to his shot. I still think Hominick could beat some people at 145 in the UFC, like I said before I don't know what is wrong, does he need a bigger opponent to get him fired up like he was in his title shot?

FreightTrain site profile image

11/17/12 10:40 PM by FreightTrain

Which is why its frustrating. Watching up here in Toronto. Internet service is so bad up here.

Revolting Blob site profile image

11/17/12 10:39 PM by Revolting Blob

Who the fuck scored that 30-26?!

TheEssence site profile image

11/17/12 10:39 PM by TheEssence

I'm bummed out.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!