GSP credits Serra loss for tense head kick moment at UFC 154

source: mmamania.com

St. Pierre admits the knockdown gave him flashbacks of his fight against Serra, and he used what he learned in that loss to survive the near-finish, as he explained at the UFC 154 post-fight press conference:

"Yes it was a similar experience [to the Serra fight]. When I got hit hard, sometimes before I was very proud guy, I try to give it back right away but the experience I gained from a lot of all my fight allowed me to recompose, defend myself and when I got back I come back stronger. It's that experience that allowed me to survive, you know, and come back from that kick that I got hit with."

Lesser men would have been finished by a Condit head kick, and for St. Pierre, it was only the second time in his 19-fight UFC career that he was knocked down from a strike.

Headrush Carlos \

Headrush Carlos "N.B.K." Condit Walkout Shirt

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

crumbs site profile image

11/19/12 2:41 PM by crumbs

Condit never hit Diaz with a clean shin bone kick to the temple like he did GSP, can't compare the two. Although Diaz like GSP would of been dropped by that shin kick, and like GSP , Diaz would of recovered.GSP trying to keep standing up after serra rocked him was like watch a newborn deer walk for the first time, that why Diaz is such a smart fighter, when he gets dropped he stays on the ground, doesn't try and immediately get back up, vs gomi, Daley, he was rocked but never out of those fights.

supersonic site profile image

11/19/12 1:45 PM by supersonic

GDP is and always has been one of the most forthcoming fighters when it comes to talking about his mental game. I was glad to see him battle through that rough patch

UGCTT_ScarecrowRio site profile image

11/19/12 1:36 PM by UGCTT_ScarecrowRio

True, also it was a foot to Diaz as mentioned above, my bad, defintley different haha.  GSP did say he wasnt able to see the kick coming, before the 3rd he was telling his corner about his vision a little, and then after the fight he said he didnt see the kick coming, which Im not surprised, as a duck into a head kick is usually not a transition most people are accustomed to

nick diaz nut hugger site profile image

11/19/12 1:30 PM by nick diaz nut hugger

*Sigh* And the rest of the quote after that is about his experience in general. Nice try, though

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

11/19/12 1:25 PM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

Yes the difference was Diaz saw the headkick that hit him coming, I think. GSP didn't.

1 pt Fuhrer 1 pt Pope site profile image

11/19/12 1:17 PM by 1 pt Fuhrer 1 pt Pope

Same here. That ufc champs roundtable eith him on fuel was great.

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun site profile image

11/19/12 1:16 PM by ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

"Yes it was a similar experience [to the Serra fight].

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun site profile image

11/19/12 1:16 PM by ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

foot vs shin

UGCTT_ScarecrowRio site profile image

11/19/12 1:09 PM by UGCTT_ScarecrowRio

To be  fair, Diaz did take a Combo Condit Headkick, and he seemed to be okay. GSP really did a great job though once he was down, able to get to guard, recompose, then spring back up and pick up where he left off, great stuff.

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

11/19/12 11:52 AM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

I wasn't trying to lol. Diaz is one of the guys in the division who would have survived that though, yes.

MMA apparel and training equipment
BLACK FRIDAY