Schaub: Tebow a big influence to me

source: mmaweekly.com

Over the last couple of years, Schaub has become close friends with New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow, and if there’s one guy in sports that could easily fall into a depression with the amount of negative press written or spoken about him, it’s definitely Tebow.

But you won’t find that kind of reaction whenever Tebow is on camera or has a microphone in front of his face. Tebow is all smiles, cordial as a kid when his grandmother is around, and never has a bad word to say about anybody.

Tebow’s influence is rubbing off on Schaub in a big way.

“He’s a very good friend, been a good friend for a couple of years now, and me and him workout a lot together and text and call each other all the time. He’s a very positive guy, very similar to me. You are who you surround yourself with and me and Tim are kind of the same in terms of work ethic and the way we go about life,” Schaub said.

"I surround myself with guys who are pretty successful, good people, and I think the two biggest influences in my life lately have been Tim Tebow and Ryron Gracie. Ryron’s a positive guy, and Tim’s super positive. For me being around that, it just shows me I’m on the right track.”

The right track has led Schaub to his status as the UFC’s official happy wanderer, and he wouldn’t have it any other way.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Submission BJJ Belt

Submission BJJ Belt

Contract Killer CK Long Sleeve Rashguard

Contract Killer CK Long Sleeve Rashguard

le site profile image

12/2/12 9:58 PM by le

I meant in general, this season.

THP site profile image

12/2/12 9:22 PM by THP

Such silliness name dropping. I will never be a Schaub fan."DA HYBRIIDDDDD!"

ChaosOverkill site profile image

12/2/12 9:11 PM by ChaosOverkill

Absolutely, short screen passes if his hands are decent. Anything to help Sanchez, but it's rare that a complete philosophy change works like putting in Tebow mid-season.

Drunkie site profile image

12/2/12 9:09 PM by Drunkie

if rex was smart run alot of 2 back formations with tebow as a running back. this would allow them so many options. qb can hand off to green or tebow or throw. then when he hands of to tebow he can run it or pass. it would really help them keep defenses off balance

ChaosOverkill site profile image

12/2/12 9:05 PM by ChaosOverkill

John Fox literally changed the entire team's way of playing to accomodate Tebow. It has no longer term success precedent.   And without the defense Denver had last year he doesn't win half of those games. Fox would have kept him if it was worth going with long term but Fox knows the stats and knows what works and doesn't want to burn out his defense. The New York Jets don't have half the talent Denver does on Offense or Defense and Rex is not willing to redesign the team for Tebow (Wich you can't do mid season anyways) both becase it's not his first year there and also because it would shorten his remaining tenure if it fails which it would based on the talent level.

Drunkie site profile image

12/2/12 8:59 PM by Drunkie

teblow has no place playing qb in the nfl. maybe use him as a tight end or as a running back. but he has no place as a qb he prolly has the worst arm in the history of the nfl. he can't hit a wide open wr. he is able to run and he is a great leader but he just is a bad qb

SonofJockstrap site profile image

12/2/12 8:58 PM by SonofJockstrap

Tebow was inactive due to injury.

BooZe site profile image

12/2/12 8:57 PM by BooZe

Word

GriffinQ site profile image

12/2/12 8:36 PM by GriffinQ

I think Ryan never wanted Tebow to begin with, and has too much pride and pig-headedness to admit when he's wrong when it comes to Sanchez. I also think Sanchez is a better PRACTICE QB than Tebow is, which is all well and good, but it obviously doesn't translate to performance come game-time.There have been multiple games where Sanchez has been doing absolutely terribly, and Ryan won't even consider putting Tebow in. If he's that bad, whatever, you're getting crushed anyways, give him 5-10 minutes to see how he does. But then, if Tebow does well, Ryan has to admit that he fucked up. Giving him zero play time keeps Ryan from having to acknowledge that just maybe Tim can do better than Sanchez can, and then the decision to keep playing Sanchez looks even WORSE for Ryan.

LilBrockonmychest site profile image

12/2/12 8:31 PM by LilBrockonmychest

And then placed 2nd string to the worst QB in the league Sanchez all year.  You don't think there is a reason for that?  You think the Jets just want to lose and really know that Tebow is better than Sanchez but still keep him on the bench?