Dominick Cruz out 6-9 months after body rejects cadaver graft

by Steven Marrocco | source: mmajunkie

The UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz's trainer Eric Del Fierro today told MMAjunkie.com that Cruz's anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) was replaced after his body rejected one from a cadaver.

Cruz is in Los Angeles today to meet with a doctor who will give him a timeline for his return, DelFierro said, though he estimated it could set the fighter back another six to nine months.

Cruz underwent corrective surgery in June after tearing his ACL in preparation for a rematch with Urijah Faber. Cruz was forced out of the fight, and Renan Barao went on to beat Faber to claim an interim title at UFC 149.

UFC President Dana White said recently he would offer a fight to Barao, possibly against Michael McDonald, despite the champ's stated preference to wait for Cruz's return.

Read entire article...

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

tags: UFC   Dominick Cruz (detail)

Shakwon site profile image

12/5/12 3:46 AM by Shakwon

^^^ To somewhat edit my above comments. I don't necessary think he blew it out again, could be an issue with the surgery. I just don't think the body rejects a ligament months later, from what I've read it's pretty immediate.

Shakwon site profile image

12/4/12 6:41 PM by Shakwon

Yea definitely seems more likely that he was trying to push himself too much and reinjured his ACL. His surgery was in June and they are just finding out now his body rejected the allograft?Doing some quick searches I saw this from a site talking about the causes of failed ACL surgeries, "Rejection of allografts is in fact a rare occurrence. In cases of rejection, the signs are apparent within a few days of the operation and the graft must be removed on an urgent basis. "

Gholmes site profile image

12/4/12 6:14 PM by Gholmes

Mix6APlix,I'm not trying to be difficult. I just don't want people reading this, who may someday face the choices of knee surgery, to automatically dismiss cadaver grafts as one of several options.

Shakwon site profile image

12/4/12 6:11 PM by Shakwon

I talked to 4 doctors before making my decision on getting a cadaver graft, this was 7 months ago, not the early 2000s like some posters. The type of graft varied by doctor, some pushed patella tendon, some pushed hamstring, others recommended cadaver. In my talks with the doctors, they basically all said, its best to find a doctor who is comfortable with the type of graft you want. They said, there is no conclusive medical literature that says one type of graft is better than another. There are pros/cons on each. If one type of graft was clearly better then all doctors would use that graft, but that simply isn't the case.I've heard Joe Hogan talk about having lingering issues with his patella tendon grafted knee and no issues with his cadaver graft knee.

Gholmes site profile image

12/4/12 6:11 PM by Gholmes

Debating which method is better is worthless. GSP got patellar tendon grafting. You're telling me the elite doctors he consulted are wrong too. Surgeon skill and how you rehab are just as important. My surgeon happens to be a friend of 25 years. I believe I got the best advice too. Every graft choice has pros and cons. Who's to say Cruz wasn't doing stupid exercises on the knee too early where any type of graft wouldn't hold. Reading the article, rejection seems to be the wrong term. It sounds like he blew it out again. That's not a rejection.

Mix6APlix site profile image

12/4/12 5:20 PM by Mix6APlix

My cousin got a full ride for soccer until she blew out her knee. Without a frat, she wishes that she had gone the goretex route. I have a couple family members who are in the medical field (1 doctor, 1 nurse), and they both are steadfast that goretex is the way to go. Good to hear that it went well for you though. Best wishes.

Motivated Penn site profile image

12/4/12 5:07 PM by Motivated Penn

Oh laaawd. Curse this 1 Vote up pr day limit. I'mma make a note of it and give you another vote up tomorrow. I laughed :D

Stu Cazzo site profile image

12/4/12 4:19 PM by Stu Cazzo

I was under the impression that the cadaver was the shorter recovery as opposed to stipping a ligament from another part of the leg. I went with the cadaver - recovery was shorter than my 1st ACL reconstruction and it's holding up more than 12 years later....I skateboard, play soccer and hockey, and kickbox.

Gholmes site profile image

12/4/12 3:50 PM by Gholmes

I have two cadaver ligaments (ACL and MCL). It's been 3 years and knee works great. I train hard too.Doctors have definite opinions on which method is better. Hamstring and knee ligament usage have their own drawbacks as well. The skill of the surgeon is more important than the method anyway hence Doctors preference for methods they've done well and often.The issue here is the rejection, which is very rare these days. I'm not sure rejection is the whole story. Your body doesn't reject something months later. It would be almost immediate. It could be a botched surgery where Cruz's knee wasn't responding to rehab (because the new ligament didn't line up) as it should and upon a 2nd opinion they decided to redo it.

Mix6APlix site profile image

12/4/12 12:29 PM by Mix6APlix

Using cadaver ligaments is just fucking stupid. Use goretex. Why cadaver ligament replacement is even legal is beyond my comprehension.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!