White: GSP vs. Diaz likely next

source: twitter.com

At UFC 154, champion Georges St-Pierre came off more than a year's layoff to sucessfully defended his welterweight title against Carlos Condit in a five round decision. Throughougt the lead up to the fight much speculation was made as to what might be next for GSP should he be able to defeat Condit, including a potential superfight with Anderson Silva.

The Silva fight seemed to be what most people wanted, including the UFC, but it's not the bout that St-Pierre wanted, who this week was rumored to want a bout with a number one contender in his own divsion, perhaps Johnny Hendricks. Today, Ariel Helwani tweeted that he spoke to UFC President Dana White and that St-Pierre has now requested a bout with Nick Diaz, who was originally slated to fight St-Pierre until he was suspended for testing postive for marijuna. The full tweet from Helwani:

Dana just said GSP told him I want Nick Diaz. Dana said that's probably the fight we'll make.

Dana said that GSP doesn't ask for much, so he feels like he has to do it. Silva and Hendricks will have to wait.

Dana hasn't told Nick yet, but he is here. ... What did I tell you, my friends?

read official Twitter...

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

Enemies site profile image

12/7/12 4:15 AM by Enemies

I'd love to see MacDonald fight Diaz. Then Condit again. Then maybe Hendricks. I'd like to see him clear out the whole division minus GSP. :P

irishman84 site profile image

12/7/12 4:05 AM by irishman84

yeah god forbid. Go cry

MMALOGIC site profile image

12/7/12 1:32 AM by MMALOGIC

yeah, that would be smart of hendricks.  I would love to see Hendricks vs Rory (if he beats penn) as the co main title eliminator. can you imagine: GSP vs Diaz Hendricks vs Rory in Rogers Center? ZUffa could feasibly do 2 stadium shows in 2013.  GSP/Diaz in Rogers Center and Anderson/Bisping(plus the brazil tuf finale0 in a stadium down in Brazil.

Diaz Shoes site profile image

12/7/12 1:27 AM by Diaz Shoes

Exactly!

DEZBOT site profile image

12/7/12 1:20 AM by DEZBOT

Most logical opponent, thank fuck

Vote me down site profile image

12/7/12 1:16 AM by Vote me down

Hell yeah!

rampageforpresident site profile image

12/7/12 1:15 AM by rampageforpresident

just as good as silva/gsp. Glad to see nick get this chance.

bmd site profile image

12/7/12 1:05 AM by bmd

I don't think Hendricks is the #1 contender. He talked himself up. He barely beat Mike Pierce (It was a close snooze fest) by split decision. He knocked out Fitch... props. He won a close split decision with Koscheck that could have gone either way.He knocked out Kampmann... props. He hasn't even come close to cleaning out the division like he says.

Ya Mon site profile image

12/7/12 1:03 AM by Ya Mon

Fook Yeah

bmd site profile image

12/7/12 12:58 AM by bmd

I HOPE this fight happens!! I was looking forward to when the fight was originally scheduled. I was disappointed it didn't happen.Then after hearing GSP was pissed and wanted to fight Diaz, it made me want to see this fight even more.I'm both a GSP and Diaz fan, but a GSP fan first. Diaz comes second. If I had my perfect scenario:GSP fights Diaz.GSP then fights Anderson at a low catch-weight. Maybe about 175 pounds, so that GSP doesn't have to put on too much weight. GSP then fights Hendricks at WW.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!