UFC President: BJ Penn should retire

by Mike Chiappetta | source: mmafighting.com

Following the event, White said during a FUEL TV interview that he wanted and expected to see Penn hang up his gloves for good.

"He didn't say it tonight but I think BJ is probably going to retire," White said. "I wouldn't mind seeing that. He came back with a fire lit under him. Let me tell you what: That kid looked so good tonight. Rory looked better than he ever looked. The body punches he threw, you dont see punches like that in mixed martial arts. He really put it to B.J. tonight.

"B.J. is a warrior," he continued. "Talk about a guy who doesn't give up, doesn't quit, and just keeps coming. I have so much respect for B.J. I always have, even though the good times and bad times. I‘d like to see him retire. He’s got plenty of money, he's got a great family that loves him, he's got babies, a beautiful wife ... He has nothing left to prove to anybody, and everybody loves him. You heard the arena here tonight. I'd like to see B.J. retire.

RVCA BJ Penn Photo Shirt

RVCA BJ Penn Photo Shirt

RVCA Game Time Jacket - BJ Penn

RVCA Game Time Jacket - BJ Penn

tags: BJ Penn (detail)  UFC on FOX 5

MachidasStraightLeft site profile image

12/10/12 3:36 PM by MachidasStraightLeft

BJ could slide into the top 5 LWs behind Bendo, Maynard, and Melendez.  Diaz and him are close.  BJ is still top 5 material.

Whambo site profile image

12/10/12 3:27 PM by Whambo

I wouldn't be surprised at all if BJ was able to beat Nate. He is still a top 5 LW IMO until proven otherwise.

Silverball site profile image

12/10/12 3:24 PM by Silverball

BJ was on the last fight of his contract.

Heel Hooker site profile image

12/10/12 2:11 PM by Heel Hooker

NEver seen him quit Dana? I've seen BJ quit 2 mins into a fight. He may still stand there and take a beating but he has a tendency to give up when things aren't going his way.

SignsOfChaos site profile image

12/10/12 1:12 PM by SignsOfChaos

Like others have stated I'm not inclined to think he has to retire......if he feels like he can compete I say let the man fight as he's still a draw. With that said he needs to "retire" from fighting above 155......it's just a bad weight class for him as his numerous losses there have shown. For whatever the reason his body makeup just can't do the cardio requirements at that weight class. But even though I feel he doesn't have to retire there should be no delusions that BJ's time as a title contender is likely over even at 155.....I think Bendo would have little trouble beating him and guys like Nate would beat him as well.

sweepnchoke site profile image

12/10/12 10:32 AM by sweepnchoke

"Dana wants BJ to retire"Seems like a pretty easy & minor retirement demand, did he specify who he wants the BJ from????

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

12/10/12 10:20 AM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

Penn wasn't just too small for Rory he was also too slow. I don't know that going down will change anything

Lazer MMA site profile image

12/10/12 9:42 AM by Lazer MMA

Yea and I'm taking it that you have so source too correct YW, so there you go.

Lazer MMA site profile image

12/10/12 7:27 AM by Lazer MMA

If true that's a bitch ass move as BJ can only fight at LW in today's game.If not true than I guess it's just as bad as saying Machida did not deserve a full camp and it's correct that he lost his shot VS JBJ, and JBJ VS Sonnen with Gus to follow is legit (no matter what happens in next Machida fight to boot).

Blazing Knees site profile image

12/10/12 7:15 AM by Blazing Knees

I didn't know Rory was that good