Mitrione declined VADA testing

by Steven Marroco | source: mmajunkie.com

The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale's Matt Mitrione was so concerned about being the best he could possibly be for Roy Nelson, he did something unusual for him: shut off Twitter.

An invitation to enroll with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association, which was issued by Nelson more than a week ago, seemed like an unnecessary diversion, he said, though he's not opposed to drug testing

"Since I was coming on somewhat short notice, cutting a couple weeks out of my camp, and training for a five-round fight, this is something I wanted to make sure I didn't have any thing that could distract me," Mitrione told MMAjunkie.com.

VADA conducts random drug screens of enrolled athletes and utilizes tests not traditionally performed by most state athletic commissions, including carbon isotope radio (CIR) testing and screens for human growth hormone and erythropoietin (EPO). It costs several thousand dollars to enroll, however, the group previously has offered sponsorships to fighters, including Nelson.

"Obviously, it isn't ideal to have someone begin a program this late," wrote VADA President Margaret Goodman in an email. "So, in my mind … although not ideal, it would serve a purpose."

Fear the Fighter Boxing Club 2013 Shirt

Fear the Fighter Boxing Club 2013 Shirt

Fear the Fighter Roy Nelson UFC 166 Walkout Shirt

Fear the Fighter Roy Nelson UFC 166 Walkout Shirt

tags: Matt Mitrione   Roy Nelson (detail)  TUF 16

Billytk site profile image

12/12/12 8:02 PM by Billytk

Agreed although I think VADA helped

Bearded Collie Herds Orca site profile image

12/12/12 8:00 PM by Bearded Collie Herds Orca

VTFU for poor Becky in accounting, Johnny Puffs, and Meow Mix.

ufcman187 site profile image

12/12/12 10:34 AM by ufcman187

Nelson is already complaining about this. I think he needs to get V-A-G-I-N-A testing to see if he is really that big of a bitch. Dude has everything going for him. A great job, an iron chin, and a beard that makes him look like a member of the Robertson's family on Duck Dynasty. Just bang bro..... Just bang !

ufcman187 site profile image

12/12/12 10:34 AM by ufcman187

I think TUF has ruined Roy's reputation.

Cyril Jeff site profile image

12/12/12 10:30 AM by Cyril Jeff

you make a fair point, but one major flaw, Amazon doesn't want the guy in the warehouse to be "drug-free" for the sake of nobility, it has everything to do with their insurance premiums and nothing to do with their stance on marijuana.   guy driving the Amazon forklift is high, runs into a wall, kills or injures poor Becky in Accounting. guy driving the forklift is sober, on his way to pull an order of Meow Mix, but Johnny Puffs, walks in his way and is run over like the bad guy in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, nothing to do with morality, everything to do with $...   I do get your point though.

JimmersonzGlove site profile image

12/11/12 11:39 PM by JimmersonzGlove

Yeah...athletic commissions have done a great job with all that they're in charge of. It's been over a decade and the judges still dont understand the sport and there is zero accountability.

stonepony site profile image

12/11/12 10:36 PM by stonepony

How could he possibly test positive? Overoids passed every single one of his tests, until the very first time he got popped for a random.I'm not saying he is a cheater. But, it is telling that he can't come up with a better excuse than that nonsense about a couple 5 minute visits are too distracting. Only other explanation I can see, would be weed. Which is reasonable and understandable for him to deny VADA if that's the case. Claiming that 5 minutes out of his day a couple times will throw him off in the fight, is utter bullshit that nobody actually believes (some people are simply pretending to believe it).I hope it's just weed keeping him from VADA this time. Because I'm a fan. And, I find Roy to be f'n obnoxious. But I respect the guy for fighting clean against some of these giant monsters.

AresSmashedPrahjuhdee site profile image

12/11/12 10:21 PM by AresSmashedPrahjuhdee

Overeem was caught on a RANDOM drug test by the AC if I remember correctly, that's what VADA does, it tests people at RANDOM. There are ways around AC testing as most of the time they DON'T do random drug testing. Know why Overeem wasn't busted when he fought Lesnar? he WASN'T randomly tested.

yellow wrkahlc site profile image

12/11/12 10:18 PM by yellow wrkahlc

Oh come on, now. It's not telling, he just didn't feel like doing it. Period. If he tests positive, then I'll eat my crow and move along, but until then, I think some of you are just reading too far into his decision.