St-Pierre: i'm not ducking Hendricks, Diaz is logical fight

source: The Underground Blog

UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre is fighting Nick Diaz next, which lead some fans to feel he was ducking Johny Hendricks.

If you agree, GSP is not impressed with your analysis.

“I’m not ducking,” St-Pierre told FUEL TV. “I can’t split myself in half. A lot of people want to fight me. Anderson Silva, Johny Hendricks, Nick Diaz. Everyone is calling me. They want the big fight and the pay-per-view. I’m going to take one fight at a time.

Johny Hendricks is a good challenge and is an amazing fighter, but I saw his fight with Josh Koscheck and it was very close. Some people give it to Josh. But he won in a very good fashion in his last fight.

“For me, I was more motivated to fight Nick than Johny Hendricks. I know Johny is going to smack talk to motivate me, but right now I’m focused on Nick Diaz and we’ll see what happens later.”

“As an athlete, I want to give fans the fight they want to see. Logically, I just finished my fight with Carlos Condit. The last fight between Carlos and Nick was controversial. I truly believe Carlos won, but some people believe Nick won. A lot of things have been said between us. This is the fight everyone wanted to see a year ago, I want big fights.

“Right now, it was logical to fight Nick Diaz.”

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Metal Mulisha Hidden Shirt

Metal Mulisha Hidden Shirt

georgejonesjr site profile image

12/21/12 12:57 PM by georgejonesjr

It's definitely good enough for a title shot, he should be next in line after Diaz. If the winner of Diaz-GSP doesn't fight Hendricks, then Hendricks will have a real cause for complaint.At this point its just a question of sequence; Diaz has been in the queue for awhile, and is a potential big money fight (Diaz has a bigger fan base than Hendricks at this point). It shouldn't matter to Hendricks whether he fights Diaz or GSP, so long as he gets the next title fight - and by that time, Hendricks fan base will be bigger, so he'll command a bigger purse. Which is why I think he's being so outspoken - he has to get his name out there, or he'll be another challenger only guaranteed $39,000 for the title fight. If he has a big fan base, he'll be guaranteed several hundred thousand. Waiting a few months, if he uses the time to build up his fan base, will pay off very well.

LBH_RN site profile image

12/21/12 5:36 AM by LBH_RN

well if you wanna get technical about it, Hendricks also put Jon Fitch to sleep prior to his last finish. 2 KO's over 2 top 5 WW's isn't good enough to warrant a title shot, but taking a split decision over the same guy who was KO'd and snuggling a washed-up-at-185 Hendo for 25 minutes is? K.

SickEyeDiaz site profile image

12/19/12 1:35 PM by SickEyeDiaz

One good thing about people being pissed about Diaz getting the shot...the Diaz/Condit fight arguments have pretty much died off!

JimmersonzGlove site profile image

12/19/12 1:10 PM by JimmersonzGlove

I'm glad they're going with GSP vs Diaz...that's the match up I want the most.

HenryO site profile image

12/19/12 12:08 PM by HenryO

And before tht Shields dominated Hendo for 25 minutes

epwar site profile image

12/19/12 12:05 PM by epwar

Sadly, this.  Dana can't see his own hypocrisy.

6ULDV8 site profile image

12/19/12 12:03 PM by 6ULDV8

I am as excited as fuck for both this fight and seeing Sonnen/Bones do TUF.  Say what you want about the integrity of the sport, but at the end of the day this is entertainment too.   I am so grateful these are both going to happen.  Thank you Uncle Dana, GSP and Nick Diaz.   Thank you so much!

kostello site profile image

12/18/12 1:38 PM by kostello

I don't know if guys like Hendricks understand match making. GSP seems to understand it because he mentioned PPV.Hendricks doesn't have as big of a following as Nick Diaz. People know that Nick Diaz comes to throw down and entertain. GSP will probably be too strong for him and will do a bunch of wrestling but if you don't have that "it" factor attached to your name... nobody is going to care that much.It's not like the UFC is the only org people watch, most people have seen Nick's StrikeForce fights and they were some barn burners. Hendricks has to figure out how to get more fans. Look at Urijah Faber, he's probably always going to be in the big fights because people know who he is. You have to have a little bit of WWE aura about yourself to make people want to see you get beat up or cheer for you. Rory MacDonald is turning himself into a great heel. He's going to move up past Koscheck in a few.

x Anchor x site profile image

12/18/12 12:24 PM by x Anchor x

Lol

danggook site profile image

12/18/12 12:21 PM by danggook

Im sure they gave hendricks some $ to quiet down. He beats ellenburger easy.. and we know diaz will probably not even fight gsp anyway