Guillard: Varner's illness due to fear, nerves

source: sherdog.com

As UFC President Dana White described it, Varner was vomiting like the Exorcist backstage.

Guillard doesn’t question that his opponent was ill, but he does question why.

“I think it was a little bit of fear, a little bit of nerves and it got the best of him,” Guillard told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show.

To back up his claim, Guillard explained that shortly before hearing that Varner was sick, he’d been warned that his opponent’s camp was concerned about him greasing.

“I’m in the locker room getting my rules meeting from the ref, and the end of that rules meeting was a little disturbing because the referee was like, ‘His corner wanted me to let you know that they are a little concerned about you greasing.’ I’m like, ‘What?’ I’ve done nothing but respect this guy and his camp,” Guillard said. “I’ve said nothing bad about him or his camp, and [they’re] going to sit there and try to falsely accuse me of possibly greasing? I’m like, ‘OK, whatever.’ I get undressed out of my suit and I put on my fight gear and I’m warming up now … and not even 15, 20 minutes later, the commissioner walks in and says, ‘Melvin, I think your fight might get scratched.’”

Affliction Divio Divided Shirt

Affliction Divio Divided Shirt

Affliction Sentient Shirt

Affliction Sentient Shirt

FreakDaddy site profile image

12/19/12 7:10 PM by FreakDaddy

Varner could have anxiety issues......But, he was not afraid to fight Melvin......I am no Varner fan either, but come on really???? He is a seasoned pro fighter and it is not like Melivn is unbeatable......I actually liked Varner in this fight......

PJ Benn Fan site profile image

12/19/12 5:15 PM by PJ Benn Fan

^^^^^^^ LOL

MrMead site profile image

12/19/12 5:00 PM by MrMead

LOL at moo point. WTF? Why would you even open your mouth to correct someone and then come up with this shit?

jon b site profile image

12/19/12 2:40 PM by jon b

War worm

Herring In A Fur Coat site profile image

12/19/12 2:02 PM by Herring In A Fur Coat

He might have a point, but it's a MOOOOOO point!

PrettyBoy site profile image

12/19/12 1:09 PM by PrettyBoy

He might have a point. This is the same Varner that didn't give Christian Darrow a shot at the belt after he made 155 correct?

ArthurKnoqOut site profile image

12/19/12 11:35 AM by ArthurKnoqOut

who is seriously a fan of Melvin?

FreakDaddy site profile image

12/19/12 11:26 AM by FreakDaddy

Melvin is they type of guys that would believe he was a superhero if someone told him he was one......I am not a fan of Varner, but he was not sick out of fear.......I was actually starting to like Melvin when he was at team Jackson, where he seemed to mature......But, then he left......

Card site profile image

12/19/12 11:25 AM by Card

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Melvin-Guillard-Jamie-Varners-PreFight-Illness-Due-to-Fear-Nerves-48411 “Deep down inside, I think the Varner's a little bit afraid of me and I’m going to prove it in two weeks because I’m not letting this fool out of the first round,” Guillard said. “I’m going to impose my will and I’m going to give him his walking papers.”

PJ Benn Fan site profile image

12/19/12 11:22 AM by PJ Benn Fan

No doubt he did but I think his past 2 fights should earn him some leeway. Especially since these comments are coming from one of the biggest mental midgets in the entire sport. Sure a broken clock is gonna being right twice a day. But most broken clocks havent greased in fights or used coke before fights. And I actually really like Melvin as a fighter. All I am saying is I think Varner has earned a bit of benefit of the doubt.