Gil Melendez: Benson needs beat me to be 'absolutely' #1

“Your eyes are always on the guy with the UFC strap," said Gil Melendez. "Your eyes were on Frankie Edgar for a long time, and BJ for a long time, and everyone needs to adapt for the champ, to figure out how to beat them. I think about it all the time with Benson."

“If he wants to be undoubtedly No. 1, I think that would be a good victory for him to prove it or for me to prove otherwise. Another fight if I was in the UFC would be fine with me as well, but I’m ready now."

“I hope everyone would get as excited as I would be about that. In a perfect world. I’d love that fight with Benson, I really would.”

Read entire article...

Metal Mulisha Walking Dead Shirt

Metal Mulisha Walking Dead Shirt

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

tags: UFC   Gil Melendez   Benson Henderson

MasterofMartialArts site profile image

12/22/12 3:26 PM by MasterofMartialArts

We are fucking stupid because we use simple logic? What's his biggest win? Guida? Thomson? Aoki? Benson worked his way to the top and beat Bocek, Miller, Guida, then Frankie and Diaz. ALL of those are more impressive. Complete domination (with the exception of Frankie). He has to prove himself in the UFC, it has been proven that the UFC is a whole different animal from any other promotion. What's so hard to understand about that? It's home to the highest level of MMA in the world. I'm fucking stupid for knowing that?

rumble_fish site profile image

12/22/12 3:12 PM by rumble_fish

Some of you guys are fucking stupid. Gil is right with his comments. He's beaten top guys throughout his career, and is the current Strikeforce Champion. Benson has never fought him. So if he's never fought the champion of another big organization how can we say he is truly the #1 LW in the world? Gil is just pointing out that he's the big question mark, and that if Benderson really wants to claim number 1, he's gotta beat Gil.

cripplersc site profile image

12/22/12 3:04 PM by cripplersc

I think Gil should fight Diego for his 1st UFC fight and if he wins he gets Bendo

MasterofMartialArts site profile image

12/22/12 2:53 PM by MasterofMartialArts

No, but plenty of guys that have been signed to the UFC with lots of hype behind them and riding big win streaks. Have they all been successful? No. Alot of them have been cut. Obviously the UFC is stronghold for the worlds highest level MMA fighters.

JoeMimic site profile image

12/22/12 1:33 PM by JoeMimic

The King! Thanks for the entertainment over the years, always got amped to watch you fight.

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun site profile image

12/22/12 12:41 PM by ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

Sorry Gil but Caeser Gracie champs in strikeforce have amounted to very little once they came to the major leagues, I see no reason to consider you number 1 but I will give you top 5 status with no problem

Spencer Fisher site profile image

12/22/12 12:36 PM by Spencer Fisher

This fight is a must!

Spencer Fisher site profile image

12/22/12 12:36 PM by Spencer Fisher

This fight is a must!

Jill Laz site profile image

12/22/12 12:23 PM by Jill Laz

I feel Gil has gotten the shaft for awhile he should have been able to come over to the UFC they kept him in strikeforce for the money so give the boy his shot now

Beefy Wellington site profile image

12/22/12 12:22 PM by Beefy Wellington

...

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!