Pettis: I want the belt

source: mmajunkie.com

"He's dangerous everywhere. I really have a lot of respect for his skill set," Pettis said. "He's a good kickboxer, he's good off his back, he's got decent wrestling – he's as tough as they come. This is going to be a fight where someone's going to make a mistake, and we have to capitalize. I'm training for a tough, tough fight with someone who's good everywhere."

If a win over Cerrone puts Pettis back in a title fight with Henderson, one in which he is once again chasing Henderson's belt, that's fine. If he has to wait a little longer, he's used to it. And if someone else has Henderson's title in the meantime, that's fine, too.

Pettis knows why he's here, and it doesn't much matter who's staring across the octagon from him.

"I should've had a title shot two years ago, and here we are in 2013 and I still have to fight my way to the top," he said. "I'm not complaining about it, but there was a lot of stuff that didn't happen. Until it really happens, then I'll believe it.

"I don't really care (who I fight). I beat Henderson once already, so it's not for me to have a rematch. I don't really care who it is. I beat him once, and I want the belt, so if it's him and me, let's do it."

Headrush Panther Shirt

Headrush Panther Shirt

MusclePharm Confidence Shirt

MusclePharm Confidence Shirt

thatsme site profile image

12/21/12 3:02 PM by thatsme

Pettis should be able to get through Cerrone. As for Bendo, well, I think Pettis will see that he has improved much more than their last fight.

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

12/21/12 2:48 PM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

I guess. Pettis has been on his back a lot, most of his WEC wins were by triangle. It's not like Benson never took him down the first time.I think if Pettis weren't so content to play guard against Guida it would have gone differently anyways as well.

Jetster site profile image

12/21/12 2:42 PM by Jetster

The blueprint did not work on pettis, the judging was incorrect as it usually is when there is a fighter on Top doing very litle and the fighter on the bottom is actually more active, It's truly unfortunate because this entire sport of MMA is being completely ruined by the lack of educated judging, just like leg kicks are rarely counted highly has points unless you literally stop the guy buy leg kicks.

MMALOGIC site profile image

12/21/12 2:39 PM by MMALOGIC

guida showed it can be done against Pettis. sure, taking strikers down is the common gameplan... but who's done it to Aldo or JDS?   The blueprint works on Pettis... that's the difference.

Jetster site profile image

12/21/12 2:29 PM by Jetster

Pettis will be the next champ for sure...and No Benson has not improved more than he has!

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

12/21/12 2:21 PM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

I don't get why people are saying Guida showed a blue print for beating Pettis. Taking a great striker down and keeping him there has kind of been the blue print to beat a striker since mma started.

demonbasketball04 site profile image

12/21/12 2:19 PM by demonbasketball04

Assuming Pettis defeats Cerrone, I would love to see the rematch take place here in Glendale, AZ again!If Cain loses next week, they can have him Co-Main against Mir/Nelson/Stuve/any other HW and sell the place out.Undercard fighters from all over AZ will certainly boost sales. Joe Riggs can make his UFC return bout, Jamie Varner, Ryan Bader and the Power MMA team (Dolloway/Simpson, etc.), John Moraga, the list goes on and on.What better setting for the rematch than the place where their historic first match was!!

anunaki site profile image

12/21/12 1:53 PM by anunaki

pettis by tko rd 2WAR PETTIS

Nick Fury site profile image

12/21/12 1:51 PM by Nick Fury

Bendo takes it handily.

in_different site profile image

12/21/12 12:49 PM by in_different

Pettis will be champ because he is the best kickboxer. His grappling can hang with anyone now. Bendo and pettis will be a hell is a fight, but I'm confident pettis will win

MMA clothing and gear