Belcher: I have to let more fans know who I am

source: bleacherreport.com

"I think it's huge for me and I have to make a statement," Belcher told Bleacher Report. "I have to prove that I deserve a big fight against one of the big-name guys—which I already have and I need to stay there. If I really want 2013 to be my run at the title, this is a great way to kick it off.

"I'm just looking for the "W" more than anything else, but I think my drive and my abilities right now are going to make it a very strong statement. If it's not a real clean win for me, it's just because Yushin Okami is a very good fighter. It could very well be a really hard win for me, but I'll do what it takes to get the "W" and I feel pretty confident about it.

"The only thing that has really held me back is my long lay-off. Then when I made my return, I took a long time between fights. After this last fight I had a broken hand and that injury kept me out for awhile.

"It's just been my long time in between fights. Why would they give somebody a chance to fight Anderson Silva who the fans don't really know, and that could go in there and take the belt from him? I have to prove that I'm able to fight more often and I have to let more fans know who I am. I have an underground fan base but that's about it."

Tatami Spirit Of Japan BJJ GI

Tatami Spirit Of Japan BJJ GI

Fuji Sakana Rashguard

Fuji Sakana Rashguard

Motivated Penn site profile image

12/24/12 5:48 AM by Motivated Penn

For the last fucking time, nobody here is saying they have no idea who Alan Belcher is. We love Alan Belcher. We are talking about whether the general fan base know about him. And they do not.Evidenced by Alan rarely being in the MMA media spotlight, not being a top earner (despite having 13 UFC fights) and Alan fucking saying so himself! This is why I quoted him to you.Do you no understand the difference between discussing a standpoint, and advocating it?Are you aware that sherdog.net is that way -----> ?

DoomFarmer site profile image

12/24/12 1:26 AM by DoomFarmer

LolSame thing I always think when I read that shit over and over again.

Ryann Von Doom site profile image

12/24/12 12:57 AM by Ryann Von Doom

:) glad to be of service. I'm just glad that he can show the world his love of rosie. RO'DTTT.

crumbs site profile image

12/24/12 12:23 AM by crumbs

His fight with Paul Harris was very fun to watch, Rogans commentary for the fight was legendary. Already said in the thread, but big gaps inbetween fights are keeping him out of the spotlight.

Zed Wayne Zed site profile image

12/23/12 8:00 PM by Zed Wayne Zed

A 155 pound WMMA prospect from Des Moines, Iowa.Belcher, or "Asian Rocky" as she is known on the scene, is the owner of one of the most feared double-jab in the USA.She's trained with everyone from Kimo to Kalib Starnes and is poised to make noise very soon.

chris curry site profile image

12/23/12 7:48 PM by chris curry

the fact your sn is motivated Penn and your using words like "jees" and "derp" says it all. And FYI this underground fanbase is what kept this sport alive

CLINT NJHC site profile image

12/23/12 6:50 PM by CLINT NJHC

catgobling site profile image

12/23/12 4:28 PM by catgobling

lol. if Okami is staying with Sonnen's mom and presumably training with him, then how can we believe his hands are developing? Belcher takes it by being more well-rounded. I would like Belcher to get a crack at Silva, and i think he would do much better than Bisping. Perhaps he Weidman could give a better fight, but im not completely sold on that.get em Belcher

Pessimist_Pete site profile image

12/23/12 3:36 PM by Pessimist_Pete

Belcher v. Belcher FTW

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!