Weidman: I am younger, bigger than Anderson Silva, and can beat him

Undefeated middleweight contender Chris Weidman, 28, spoke recently with Sherdog Radio, and discussed getting passed over for a shot at UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

Weidman had been scheduled to face Tim Boetsch at UFC 155 on Saturday, but withdrew due to injury.

"It's a business and I understand what [Anderson Silva's camp] is doing," said Weidman. "So I don't take it personal. It's just, I put a lot of work in and my goal is to be champion, and I know I can beat Anderson Silva and I know I did enough work to get that fight. I know I'm a terrible, terrible match up for him. If I get my hands on Anderson Silva it's game over. I'm not kidding. If I get on top of him like Chael Sonnen got on top of him, I really believe in myself, I'm really going to finish the fight."

"I think I have the tools to beat him. I'm younger, I'm bigger than him, if not the same size, I have a longer reach, I know I have better wrestling and better jiu-jitsu. His stand-up is unbelievable, but I know I have the reaction time and the understanding of stand-up to where I'm not going to get knocked out from out of nowhere."

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

tags: UFC   Anderson Silva (detail)

AndyMain site profile image

12/29/12 11:34 PM by AndyMain

Well Belcher and Boetsch are out so its between Weidman and Bisping. Bisping is 1-1 in his last 2 and Weidman is undefeated, 5-0 in the UFC, and offers a more threatening style than Bisping. Clear choice for the shot.  Also, the UFC has shown that guys that talk get the shots. So can you blame him?

JBFIGHTER site profile image

12/29/12 8:18 PM by JBFIGHTER

silva would wreck weidman just like anyone else he faced man this guy talks too much

HenryO site profile image

12/29/12 8:08 PM by HenryO

New man? He's getting finished by guys like Jesse Taylor and random Koreans

AndyMain site profile image

12/29/12 8:00 PM by AndyMain

Well he took Sakara on short notice with hurt ribs and completely dominated. He was all over Munoz, on the ground and just found the KO before the sub. And also we're talking about Andre Galvao one of the best grapplers on the planet. CW was competitive with him after just months of training BJJ. I'm not saying whether or not Chris will beat him but he has a unique skillset that we have not seen challenge Anderson yet. Nobody Anderson has fought has had the wrestling and jiu jitsu pedigree that Chris has. But whether or not he'll beat him doesnt have anything to do with if he deserves a shot. Sombody has to fight for the title and the way the division is set up right now CW or Alan Belcher make the most sense imo.

Godmode site profile image

12/28/12 10:58 PM by Godmode

Weidman should fight the winner of Bisping/Belfort or Belcher/Okami before even thinking of a title shot. Also, there's plenty of competition at 85. There's Lombard, Boetsch, Philippou and Fabio Maldonado is possibly dropping.

Kostakio site profile image

12/28/12 5:50 PM by Kostakio

haha I don't care. I'd just like to see those two on the ground.

Lazer MMA site profile image

12/28/12 5:45 PM by Lazer MMA

How fast would the haters say, oh that's his 3rd loss in a row after the fight to discredit the Weidman win?

Lazer MMA site profile image

12/28/12 5:43 PM by Lazer MMA

Of course but the fight won't come off again. At this point it's now proven that it's more important who the champion wants to fight. AS has positioned for a fight with Bisping for a long while.

Kostakio site profile image

12/28/12 5:24 PM by Kostakio

Weidman vs. Palhares would be surreal.

Neil McCauley site profile image

12/28/12 5:15 PM by Neil McCauley

he gets it.

MMA apparel and training equipment
BLACK FRIDAY