Diego Nunes leaves Nova União to better focus on earning title shot

With the issue of fighters being uncomfortable fighting teammates at the fore, top ranked UFC featherweight Diego Nunes offers a solution - switch teams.

In a recent interview with Brazil's SporTV, Nunes reveals he left Nova União for Rio de Janeiro's X-Gym, because the focus at his former gym was focused on current UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo.

"I respected the people with whom I worked with at Nova União" said Nunes. "Independently of what I wanted though, I lowered my head there. There, Aldo was the champion really so I could never shout, 'Oh! I am going to be a champion!' Whenever I bow my head, I did it out of my heart in sincerity, I was never forced into anything. I took advantage of my time, but my time there is over. Now I'm on a team where people look at me and say, 'Diego, you will be the champion. Let's make you a champion.' Thanks to Nova União because if I had not been there maybe I would not here today."

Nunes is not alone in switching gyms.

For example, UFC middleweight Brian Stann recently left Jackson's MMA for similar reasons, and created a personal camp in his home state of Georgia.

Nunes is currently scheduled to face Nik Lentz on Jan. 19 at UFC on FX 7.

Read entire article...
Read entire article... (original Portuguese)

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Venum Joseå© Aldo UFC 163 Corra Fight Shorts

Venum Joseå© Aldo UFC 163 Corra Fight Shorts

tags: UFC   Jose Aldo (detail)  Diego Nunes (detail)

fryingarmbar site profile image

1/8/13 10:00 AM by fryingarmbar

Actually I'd say Pedeneiras was the one trying to save face, kicking someone out who had already left the team by moving to the US without telling anyone.

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

1/8/13 9:33 AM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

X-Gym isn't a small place. A lot of top guys from team Nog train there, including Anderson Silva, Erick Silva and Jacare Souza

Hikikomori site profile image

1/8/13 7:57 AM by Hikikomori

More fighters will choose to stay at small gyms and "day pass" train at bigger camps.

burner22 site profile image

1/8/13 5:39 AM by burner22

This. I'd say he's trying to save face.

MMALOGIC site profile image

1/8/13 1:21 AM by MMALOGIC

I dont think that's gonna happen...  the trend is in the opposite direction.  super gyms are getting bigger and more are popping up. Rashad left Jacksons... and what happened? another super gym pops up called the blackzillians. guys will leave gyms and super camps will develop around them.  that's how it's gonna be. It's more effecient and more effective.

Cyril Jeff site profile image

1/8/13 1:07 AM by Cyril Jeff

Huh, I thought he was "asked to leave" as well, wish him the best though...

Brian J DSouza site profile image

1/8/13 12:20 AM by Brian J DSouza

More money might be coming into the sport via PPV, TV licencing, the Fox deal, merchandise, sponsors, etc. But if there's only one major fight org (with Bellator, now suing Eddie Alvarez as the other distant second option), how would any fighters go about getting that money?

cyberc92 site profile image

1/8/13 12:08 AM by cyberc92

I believe int he future MMA camps will go the way of boxing and have camps dedicated to individual fighters with sparring partners brought in. As more money comes into the sport more fighters will be able to afford it and more will want to do what it takes to be champ.

epic hero site profile image

1/8/13 12:07 AM by epic hero

I thought he left a while ago

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

1/8/13 12:07 AM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

Pretty sure he's been gonehttp://www.mmabay.co.uk/2012/03/02/andre-pederneiras-kicks-diego-nunes-out-of-nova-uniao/

MMA clothing and gear