Scott Coker: I'm going to celebrate

Strikeforce will air a final event on Showtime (10 p.m. ET/PT) from Oklahoma City on Saturday night.

It's a bittersweet ending, says Strikeforce founder and CEO Scott Coker, who got his start promoting martial arts events in 1985 while working part time as a Bay Area karate instructor.

At first, Strikeforce's ambitions were strictly local. It operated mainly out of HP Pavilion, also home of the NHL's San Jose Sharks. Near the end of 2007, when the Sharks owners at Silicon Valley Sports and Entertainment Inc. expressed an interest in buying a 50 percent ownership stake in Strikeforce, Coker saw the opportunity to create something bigger.

In 2009, Strikeforce, with help from its new partner, purchased fighter contracts and an existing TV deal with CBS and Showtime from struggling MMA promoter ProElite.

Soon Strikeforce signed marquee fighters such as Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson, and launched an ambitious heavyweight tournament.

But when Zuffa made an offer to buy out its largest competitor, Coker says his partners felt it was time to get out of the MMA business and refocus on hockey.

"I think this is a good way to close the chapter, and it's something that I'm going to celebrate," Coker says. "I've been in the fight business 27 years. That's a long time, a long run, and I'm going to celebrate this."

Read entire article...

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

tags: UFC   Strikeforce   Scott Coker

Chitat site profile image

1/10/13 11:56 PM by Chitat

Even well before the K-1 days. Going back to his Strikeforce kickboxing events in the 80's and 90's. He used to put on some great shows back then.

Chappie site profile image

1/10/13 11:29 PM by Chappie

I agree, Coker has always seemed like a nice guy, it would be interesting to see what the terms of his non-compete agreement are.

jaytrainwreck site profile image

1/10/13 11:11 PM by jaytrainwreck

Scott seems like a good guy, I wish him well.

gabemadrid site profile image

1/10/13 10:59 PM by gabemadrid

Scott Coker always seemed to be highly professional and a nice guy

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku site profile image

1/10/13 10:51 PM by Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

good for him. i hope hes made enough to live comfortably

kawz1 site profile image

1/10/13 10:47 PM by kawz1

Coker is probably the classiest promoter in the fight biz. I feel that Strikeforce really catered to the fans and put together the strongest promotion in MMA history, outside of Pride and the UFC. Hopefully this last card goes out with a bang, but I think a lot of guys will play it safe to make sure they get that UFC contract. Regardless, Strikeforce is gonna be missed.

ssj site profile image

1/10/13 9:23 PM by ssj

Thanks SC for helping me become the man I am today my fren

Anderson P Sonnen site profile image

1/10/13 3:31 PM by Anderson P Sonnen

Thanks Scott for an awesome job you did throughout the years. And big ups for getting Fedor in the states for a short while, even if it was bitter sweet.Good luck in life :)

ChaosOverkill site profile image

1/10/13 3:17 PM by ChaosOverkill

Yeah or Invicta and bring them some broadcast professionalism

TeamRenzo4Life site profile image

1/10/13 3:16 PM by TeamRenzo4Life

Damn right I'm gonna miss SF. It was cool that sometimes after a completely lackluster UFC PPV, you could tune into Strikeforce and be blown away by entertaining fights.Kinda sad really.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!