Mousasi: I think people underestimate me

by Shaun Al-Shatti | source: mmafighting.com

Put everything together, and there is a fire in Mousasi's voice that hasn't been there in some time. "I have it in the back of my head," he measuredly explains. "This fight is a very important fight. It's a very important fight for my future and career.

"I see a lot of fighters getting knocked out, but they still, they praise them a lot more than me. I haven't been beaten badly in any fight. I just lost one fight in, I don't know how many fights. I think people underestimate me. And I feel like now, with the good training I have, why shouldn't I be able to fight these UFC fighters?"

Mousasi admits it's tough not to look ahead when such a colossal opportunity is so close. If he had his wish, he'd fight Shogun Rua, Forrest Griffin, Lyoto Machida, or Alexander Gustafsson for his Octagon debut, though really anyone in the top-10 would suffice. Mousasi knows he's small for the division -- he walks around barely above 210 pounds -- but he's confident his technique, speed and conditioning will neutralize any weight advantage his opponents may have. And if things don't pan out like they should, Mousasi would be open to a move down to middleweight.

But things will pan out, he's sure of it. He can feel it. For too long his critics have thrown around that damnable word. Overrated. Everything has built to this moment. And now it all begins with Kyle. "I'm almost to my goal," he promises.

"This is the time. If I don't do it now, maybe I won't get a second chance. I feel like everything is falling into its place."

Affliction Shockwave Rusted Shirt

Affliction Shockwave Rusted Shirt

Affliction Sentient Shirt

Affliction Sentient Shirt

Phisher site profile image

1/10/13 9:55 PM by Phisher

You realize that OSP almost quit MMA early on because his wrestling was so terrible against the guys that he was fighting on the regional level, right? That's in spite of his "wrestling background." He's not a good MMA wrestler, and Mousasi taking him down means nothing. And in spite of the early domination, Mousasi managed to find himself mounted by OSP at the end.

Doem site profile image

1/10/13 9:36 PM by Doem

hell yea im going to underestimate himi saw his fight against Jardine.

ssj site profile image

1/10/13 9:16 PM by ssj

Mousasi is top3 LHW/MW potentialI for one can't wait for his UFC debut

Ironclad site profile image

1/10/13 6:53 PM by Ironclad

Mousasi is completely overrated. Superior stand up won't mean jack shit when he's on his back against some of the better wrestlers in the UFC. Gatekeeper at best until his takedown defense significantly improves.

Sal Penis site profile image

1/10/13 6:15 PM by Sal Penis

Nope. He has never taken damage. Hasnt been KO'D. Superior stand up. The sky is the limit for Gegard.

Amazing site profile image

1/10/13 6:08 PM by Amazing

Man I cannot wait to see Gegard and the rest of Strikeforce fighters coming over and fighting in the UFC. I feel like we're going to see some great match ups this year.

H Bomb site profile image

1/10/13 6:03 PM by H Bomb

I would disagree with Mousasi and say people tend to over rate him rather than under rate him.The Mousasi mystique has always been based on his potential (for about 5 years now) and his association & comparisons to fedor.When is it time to stop gushing over Mousasis potential and time to start realizing hes already reached? in other words Mousasi is not the world beater people have been making him out to be for YEARS.hes and exciting fighter when he seems prepared theres no denying that. but, hes far from being a top 5 UFC fighter.

JOESONDO site profile image

1/10/13 5:00 PM by JOESONDO

I was expecting him to have more of a gas tank than he did. I believe it was just Jardine that had short notice, Mousasi had a full camp but I could be remembering things wrong. And while Jardine is awkward he is also very chinny. He lost 5 straight against guys of medium talent level (two of those being KO's) before being released from the UFC. Had two wins against lesser competition before drawing vs. Mousasi. He has also lost twice after Mousasi. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume he would have done better.

Barbalos site profile image

1/10/13 4:52 PM by Barbalos

There are a few people who say he will be huge in the UFC but not many, they are the minority. Most say he will be a good fight for a lot of guys at either LHW or MW. That isn't overrated to me. And he catches a lot of shit, even though he has an exciting style, even if he isn't #1. Don't get it.

rockwell site profile image

1/10/13 4:42 PM by rockwell

I think Mousasi has under performed rather than being underrated.He is kind of overrated due to him not always performing the way we've seen he can (but often doesn't).If he got his act together and was a bit more consistent he would no doubt be rated very highly, and deservedly so, as he has huge potential.