UFC releases nine fighters from the roster

source: mmaopinion.co.uk

The UFC have released a number of fighters just as they make room for the additions of the Strikeforce signees.

Chad Griggs, Nick Penner, Marcus LeVesseur, John Cofer, Joey Gambino, Jeff Hougland, Jared Papazian and Yasuhiro Urishitani and Henry Martinez are the 9 released.

There are no particularly huge surprises amongst the list of releases, Flyweights Jared Papazian (0-3 UFC) and Yasuhiro Urushitani( 0-2 UFC) have not made the grade after failing to pick up a single win between them. Papazian most recently lost a one sided decision to Timothy Elliot at the latest TUF finale, this was his first fight at 125 pounds. Urushitani meanwhile, entered as part of the inaugural Flyweight tournament but was knocked out by Joseph Benavidez. His most recent fight, a decision loss to John Lineker at UFC on FUEL 6, was not enough to keep a spot on the roster.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

Submission BJJ Belt

Submission BJJ Belt

whadafykumeanitstaken site profile image

1/19/13 6:46 PM by whadafykumeanitstaken

Everyone will make excuses for that cut the way tgey do for otgee guys who get cut after short notice losses. How does the UFC, "pinnacle" of the sport, have guys fighting the day after getting notice?

orcus site profile image

1/19/13 6:25 PM by orcus

I know I'm not as much of a "hardcore" fan these days because I have never heard of any of those guys but Griggs.

yellow wrkahlc site profile image

1/19/13 6:18 PM by yellow wrkahlc

I had the spelling wrong because I copy and pasted from the article. Google didn't even bother auto-correcting his name for me, despite being the #10 flyweight in the world. Stupid move letting him go, imo. 125 isn't deep and I would think they want all the Top 10 fighters in that division. Should have let him fight one more time, then released him if he lost.

RKing85 site profile image

1/19/13 4:28 PM by RKing85

no problem with any of those releases.I can probably come up with another 50 that they need to release as well.

Herring In A Fur Coat site profile image

1/19/13 4:15 PM by Herring In A Fur Coat

Silly rabbit, Google doesn't care if you spell it wrong.

Gene Pitney site profile image

1/19/13 1:35 PM by Gene Pitney

LeVesseur is a fucking horrible fighter. Boring as hell. People are bitching that he got cut while fighting on short notice. Seriously? Maybe if he umm, i dunno...HADNT PUT THE ENTIRE FUCKING AUDIENCE TO SLEEP in pretty much all his fights then maybe he'd still have a job. Lets say I was a manager, I ask a guy to do me a favour even though he was on holidays, but he still accepts. If he then goes ahead and fucks shit up and causes unhappy clients (fans) or whatever, am I still supposed be happy that he did me a favour? NO

mmavixen site profile image

1/19/13 1:31 PM by mmavixen

Wow, there are a lot of guys on here that I really liked.  Papazian, Urihitan(sp) Martinez, Griggs. This is sad.

Gin Tonic site profile image

1/19/13 1:00 PM by Gin Tonic

Bah! Sucks for Muttonchops, I like watching him bang.No homo.

fightsfan site profile image

1/19/13 12:49 PM by fightsfan

I think GRIGGS should go back to HW , he was excitng there albeit against lesser fighters

Letibleu site profile image

1/19/13 6:32 AM by Letibleu

You forgot to take into account the 214 fighters that will get injured in training this year...

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear