Rampage considers move to boxing

On Jan. 26 former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson fights Glover Teixeira, and plans to leave the UFC.

"I've given [UFC] time to keep me happy," said Jackson. "Honestly, I think the UFC is happy with me leaving. It's a mutual thing."

Competing in smaller MMA promotions is possible, but Jackson has a grander scheme -- taking his knockout skills to the boxing ring.

He won't have to worry about anyone taking him to the ground in a boxing match, and Jackson gets to throw as many punches as he wants.

"I've put my time in. I did my thing," Jackson said. "I just want to entertain people. I want to be very exciting. Maybe I want to try some boxing or do some kickboxing. I’ve done jiu-jitsu tournaments, wrestling tournaments, kickboxing fights -- but never boxing. I think that would be my biggest challenge -- to see if I can be a pro boxer.

Jackson noted that former street fighter-turned-mixed martial artist Kimbo Slice has also made the switch to boxing.

One promoter has already expressed interest.

"Absolutely, I'd be interested in taking a look at him," Top Rank vice president of boxing operations Carl Moretti told ESPN.com. "I'm sure he's a well-conditioned athlete, but boxing's a different game. I'd like to see him in the gym sparring, just to see how he does against professionals before going ahead and just throwing him in a fight.

Read entire article...

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Affliction Horror Business Shirt

Affliction Horror Business Shirt

tags: UFC   Rampage   Quinton Jackson (detail)

Tomato Can site profile image

1/22/13 11:22 AM by Tomato Can

Actually, a fight doesn't have to be a title fight to be 12 rounds, but I guess that's beside the point. If Rampage wants to take a few 4-rounders against scrubs like Kimbo did, then good luck to him, but I have no clue who would be interested in watching that.

CoryMatthews site profile image

1/22/13 2:44 AM by CoryMatthews

It's dumb that i read this thread and at least 60% of posts are trolls. I don't intend to insult the people who want he attention but the site that has become a haven for them.Yes rampage is still top 10 in 205, if you say no then you are hoping someone will grapplefuck him.That's it, so pretending he isnt top 10 even though he has he good enough wrestling to last dan henderson. fuck it i quit

SinCityHustler site profile image

1/22/13 2:26 AM by SinCityHustler

Not so.  Ask around, the UFC contracts don't work that way.

TheHaunted2 site profile image

1/20/13 6:50 PM by TheHaunted2

Any fighter could retire. And 6 months later make a 'comeback' in another sport. See brock lesnar

SinCityHustler site profile image

1/20/13 6:42 PM by SinCityHustler

For him to go 12 rounds, you are assuming he would be in a world championship fight.   Do you really believe that?

SinCityHustler site profile image

1/20/13 6:41 PM by SinCityHustler

There's this thing called a contract that he's in with the UFC.  "Doing it already" would be illegal.  He would be sued and he would lose.

WoodenPupa site profile image

1/20/13 5:15 PM by WoodenPupa

Sounds like a leverage ploy to maximize a lucrative deal with X-ARM.

slo ko site profile image

1/20/13 3:35 PM by slo ko

and I find those complaints ironic, given his roots. look back at his fight against Marvin Eastman in KOTC when he could barely string a combo together. he has seen amazing striking development for a wrestler, but he shouldn't forget that this is MMA. as for people wrestling him, well, sometimes these things happen in MMA.

GtheMVP site profile image

1/20/13 3:12 PM by GtheMVP

I don't care what he says about the UFC, it's his constant bitching, complaining and excuse making. Worst of all is his bully mentality. He's an asshole, straight up, which you'll see anytime anyone has even a pinch of criticism towards him, constructive or not. Didn't you see how nasty he got towards Rogan? Joe can irritate me, but nothing he said about Rampage warranted so much vitriol. I was a fan of his, cheered him on in his second Chuck fight, all my friends who didn't know about Pride thought Chuck would whoop him.I just want to see him get beat up now, and I hope Glover does that!

Nothing2 site profile image

1/20/13 1:36 PM by Nothing2

I must have missed when he became washed up? You know he defeated Machida right?

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!