Hendricks earns title shot with UFC 158 win

source: mmajunkie.com

UFC President Dana White today said once-beaten Johny Hendricks (14-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) would likely earn a shot at the title should he look impressive at the event against Jake Ellenbeger (28-6 MMMA, 7-2 UFC).

"I'd have to say if Johny Hendricks looks good and wins his fight, it will probably be Hendricks (next)," White said.

UFC 158 takes place March 16 at Montreal's Bell Centre. St-Pierre vs. Diaz headlines with Hendricks and Ellenberger also meeting on the pay-per-view main card. Today's comments were made at a pre-event press conference promoting the event.

However, St-Pierre also points to Hendricks' razor-thin split-decision win over Josh Koscheck as a reason he does not deserve top-contender status.

"Johny Hendricks, when I watched the fight with Josh Koscheck, according to me, Josh Koscheck should have won that fight, so I didn't want to fight a guy that lost to a guy I already beat," St-Pierre said.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Super Body Care Travel Kit 1oz

Super Body Care Travel Kit 1oz

time traveling 12er site profile image

1/25/13 4:11 AM by time traveling 12er

Yeah, remember when Machida said no twice to title shots? Shit happens. But yeah it's all Dana's fault, even though GSP is the one that wanted to fight Diaz instead of Henderson. So lets see this list of passed up #1 contenderships that were promised? Or is this one of those things people cry about ,like fighters losing on short notice and getting cut, that actually don't come with a real list?

yellow wrkahlc site profile image

1/25/13 2:10 AM by yellow wrkahlc

LMFAO. I've been using this gif for months, first one to post it on the UG, and not once did anyone ask about it. And now PBH uses it, and someone gets their curiousity sparked? Blasphemy.  It's from Loiter Squad, on Adult Swim. Watch it.

LilBrockonmychest site profile image

1/25/13 2:07 AM by LilBrockonmychest

OK so the first fight after surgery was Condit.  He shouldn't be ducking him now.   I honestly don't think GSP's scared of anyone (well at WW) but he knows Hendricks is much more dangerous than Nick and took the easier fight.

dermotfix site profile image

1/25/13 12:29 AM by dermotfix

I think GSP knows Hendrix is the best of the contenders and didn't want to fight him first after his knee injury. I can't say I blame him. And Condit was a very legit contender and a bigger paycheck.

hckycrzy27 site profile image

1/24/13 9:50 AM by hckycrzy27

So, IF Hendricks goes out and IF he looks good and IF he wins then PROBABLY he's in the mix.

flipmode site profile image

1/24/13 8:17 AM by flipmode

Whats this from?

tonytr site profile image

1/24/13 8:13 AM by tonytr

GSP is contradicting himself. Dana didn't outright commit, but I find it hard to believe that he'll be able to deny Hendricks again if he beats Ellenberger.

Bisping KOd by CHRIST site profile image

1/24/13 7:42 AM by Bisping KOd by CHRIST

Lets hope johnny gets it! Weve never seen gsp fight a really good wrestler with one punch power in his hands!

KingOfFighters site profile image

1/24/13 7:19 AM by KingOfFighters

"Josh Koscheck should have won that fight, so I didn't want to fight a guy that lost to a guy I already beat," St-Pierre said."Hmmm lol

KingOfFighters site profile image

1/24/13 7:19 AM by KingOfFighters

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!