Jones: Move to heavyweight could come this year

It's a question Jon Jones has heard many times before - when is his all-but-inevitable move to heavyweight?

It might be sooner than everyone thinks.

"I think heavyweight is going to come along around 2014 – maybe even late this year," said Jones during the UFC on FOX 6 Fan Q&A. "Who knows. It'll definitely be a fight for the fans."

"(Daniel Cormier) is going to have to come and get me (at 205). He talked all that trash – I'm going to make him cut that weight."

"I would love to face (Alistair Overeem). I would fight anybody, any time. I'm just a lot smaller than those guys. I know that it would be a major challenge to fight one of those guys being the size I am right now."

For now, he has Chael Sonnen straight ahead, at UFC 159 on April 27 in Newark, N.J. following stints as opposing coaches on season 17 of The Ultimate Fighter.

After that, at light heavyweight, UFC president Dana White says he will be facing Dan Henderson, if Hendo beats Lyoto Machida next month at UFC 157. If Hendo loses, White said the next challenger might come from the winner of Gegard Mousasi vs. Alexander Gustafssonat FUEL TV 8 on March 2 in Sweden.

Jones also said he thought Mousasi was the best of the light heavyweights coming over from Strikeforce.

Read entire article...

Replay of UFC on FOX 6 Jon Jones Fan Q&A:

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

No Mas Pride Beanie

No Mas Pride Beanie

tags: UFC   Jon Jones (detail)     Alistair Overeem (detail)  video

SouthernCrossMMA site profile image

1/29/13 10:59 PM by SouthernCrossMMA

Whatever he does the jones hate squad will still find sumthing to complain about. If he moves up he's ducking silva, hendo mousasi etc etcIf he doesn't move up he's not fighting in his natural weight class etc etc

BigSleep site profile image

1/29/13 9:48 PM by BigSleep

This is dumb, even by your standards and that is saying something.

Mookie Blaylock site profile image

1/29/13 9:10 PM by Mookie Blaylock

I want Jones vs. Cain

junobeach site profile image

1/29/13 9:05 PM by junobeach

Ducking Mousasi

borked site profile image

1/29/13 9:04 PM by borked

only a few who would challenge jbj at hw would be cormier, barnett, and cain. the first two would have trouble and it'd be 50/50 but cain would wreck him.

KingOfFighters site profile image

1/29/13 8:56 PM by KingOfFighters

Well great fighters are usually gifted beyond their weightclass, so he'll be even more legendary if he can compete with the big boys. Some will say he's already a heavyweight, the guy is a stick, he'd get rag dolled by jds, or any other decently talented heavyweight, he needs to build up his core strength.

klabo site profile image

1/29/13 8:33 PM by klabo

Sorry Kirik. I've only posted on the UG. Just made that comment cause I got locked and thread deleted for posting that JJ was a total ass when I met him. Also posted about 20 other comments about awesome, really cool fighters

IHangFromBJsBallSack site profile image

1/26/13 5:12 PM by IHangFromBJsBallSack

I would be a huge fan of JBJ if be went to heavyweight and stopped picking on my favourite fighters.

knuckleballs site profile image

1/26/13 4:19 PM by knuckleballs

If Glover scorches Rampage, I would love to see Glover vs Bones, though, rightfully, if Hendo beats Machida he should get it first. Saying that, i think Glover is a much bigger threat to Jones than Hendo.

hybridfc site profile image

1/26/13 2:00 PM by hybridfc

He has the frame to carry some serious functional muscle. Im his height and am rangey also, put on 10kg and didnt lose any speed.

MMA clothing and gear