Josh Barnett: BJJ NOT a fight, boxing is 1/3 of a fight

Josh Barnett recently attended a BJJ tournament, and offered his thoughts, via Twitter.

Josh Barnett ‏@JoshLBarnett
Just overheard, "How many fights did you have today?". The answer is none. You've had zero fights today. Doing BJJ is NOT a fight.

@TheErikHammer
well I just heard "sweet I get a medal because my guy did not show up."

Josh Barnett ‏@JoshLBarnett
Such a proud victory.

Josh Barnett ‏@JoshLBarnett
I just watched two grown men jump in the air at each other and start scissoring. They scissored each other in mid air. And I paid to get in.

Josh Barnett ‏@JoshLBarnett
Boxing is a fight. 1/3 of a fight maybe but still a fight. To me for something to be called a fight it must involve striking your opponent.

Follow Josh Barnett on Twitter...

Do you think a BJJ match is a fight? How about a professional boxing bout?

Why?

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

tags: UFC   Strikeforce   Josh Barnett (detail)

2JupitersTooMany site profile image

1/30/13 9:28 PM by 2JupitersTooMany

I think you missed the point. Competition BJJ isn't a fight (unless your opponent goes Paul Harris on you, then it becomes one). BJJ outside that gentlemen's agreement is. I think you're confused about the meaning of "gentle" in the context of BJJ.

behzad site profile image

1/30/13 9:11 PM by behzad

Its only ur juvenile thinking that would disagree because you believe a fight is associated with badasses.Jus sayin yo.

JudOWNED site profile image

1/30/13 8:52 PM by JudOWNED

Oh I see where you're coming from now. That's cool if you want to tweak the noses of guys who take themselves too seriously. I'm just making a point that the definition of fight could include grappling matches. And for what its worth I have heard judoka refer to matches as fights. But I don't really see it as a big deal either way.

2buff site profile image

1/30/13 4:46 PM by 2buff

So explain to me why BJJ practitioners call their matches fights while judokas and wrestlers call their matches "matches"? Oh that's right they want to be considered badasses

behzad site profile image

1/30/13 4:03 PM by behzad

Many fails on defining a fight.Fight, battle, combat. No matter what you call it. BJJ qualifies.

JudOWNED site profile image

1/30/13 3:20 PM by JudOWNED

Buf, I am not convinced your definition is common sense. It may be public opinion, but public opinion is frequently uninformed and wrong. I mean, when speaking of public opinion regarding grappling, look at how many people discounted it "as fighting" before ufc 1. The fact that many people still may discount it as a form of fighting carries little weight with me. I mean people still boo UFC fights when they hit the ground for goodness sake!Also I have done some lame striking training in my lifetime. I can tell you that a hard fought grappling match is far more of a fight than some of the sparring and competition matches you see in some traditional martial art schools, despite the fact that they are trying to hit one another.

2buff site profile image

1/30/13 3:04 PM by 2buff

That's why jui jitsu is called "the gentle way" not a fight is correct

2buff site profile image

1/30/13 3:02 PM by 2buff

Or you can continue to mislead people. Whatever makes you feel like a bad ass I guess..

MuayThai4Everyone site profile image

1/30/13 2:45 PM by MuayThai4Everyone

7 pages later... This thread sucks because of disinformation of I D 10 T s

PrettyBoy site profile image

1/30/13 1:23 PM by PrettyBoy

No... Just no.Step into a BJJ gym and look around at the mommas boys paying 150 a month to wrestle from their knees.Then step into a boxing gym and see kids pulled off the street into community gyms where rival teams have full blown out fights daily. One kind of person is ready for a real fight whenever, the other is not. I would say Royce and the Gracie family are not the norm they were used to challenge matches and such.