Evans: I'm a bad matchup for Anderson Silva

by John Morgan | source: mmajunkie.com

Rashad Evans (17-2-1 MMA, 12-2-1 UFC) is one the of the names being tossed about, but "Suga" isn't so sure he'd take the fight – even though he feels confident he'd walk away victorious.

"I'm not a good matchup for him," Evans told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I'm sure he's not chomping at the bit to fight me. He doesn't really have anything to gain from fighting me, so I don't know if he would even want to fight me. I don't know why he would go out of his way to fight somebody like me. If the UFC is not going to make him fight me, then I don't see why he would fight me.

"Besides that, I love Anderson. He's a great guy outside of the cage, and he's one of my favorite fighters to watch inside the cage. To me, to fight him would be a little bittersweet because I know I would beat him. I know I would beat him."

Jaco Logo Shirt

Jaco Logo Shirt

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Ip Man 81 site profile image

2/1/13 4:02 PM by Ip Man 81

For sure

Trane site profile image

2/1/13 2:33 AM by Trane

"He doesn't really have anything to gain from fighting me, so I don't know if he would even want to fight me"Worst attempt at reverse psychology ever? Anderson should respond with "You know what Rashad? After much contemplating I believe that you are right on the money."

hellride site profile image

1/31/13 11:15 PM by hellride

This would be a superduper fight at 185. To me this is as good a matchup as Anderson vs GSP or Jones.

I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo site profile image

1/31/13 11:07 PM by I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo

I doubt Rashad would be willing to fight him without the prospect of a title shot.

UGSlapshot site profile image

1/31/13 10:07 PM by UGSlapshot

Wut?

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA site profile image

1/31/13 9:45 PM by UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

^^^ I can agree with the point at the end. If Anderson smashes Rashad then the Jones fight becomes more of a reality. I worry that the 'he cut too much weight' crowd would be vocal...   They should do it as a one off 5 round CW at Franklin weight if Hashad is that worried about the cut.

FJJ828 site profile image

1/31/13 9:33 PM by FJJ828

A first round knock out for Silva would put Evans decision loss against Jones in a different light.

I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo site profile image

1/31/13 9:30 PM by I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo

I understand that MMA math doesn't always apply, and obviously a different strategy will apply for a fighter with a drastically different skill set, but if The Spider is able to dispose of Rashad in the same fashion that he disposes of everyone else...Admit it, the demand for Jones vs Silva will increase by virtue of the fact that Rashad and Jones have already fought. This isn't an attempt to suggest that if Anderson is able to beat Rashad, he'll be able to do the same to Jones. It would simply make a compelling argument to make that fight happen sooner, rather than never.

yellow c0ckahlc site profile image

1/31/13 7:45 PM by yellow c0ckahlc

I don't consider it ducking in this context because it's a 185'er coming up that could potentially fuck up his momentum at 205. It's Anderson Silva we're talking about here, not Rampage or Lyoto or Shogun. They offered him the fight, and Rashad said no. Rashad didn't need to beat Anderson to get a title shot (ofc, it'd help his case, but why bother when he can beat someone in his own weight class?). Smart move, not a tuck, imo. Rashad has no problem with the fight now, so I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt that my reasoning was also his at the time.

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA site profile image

1/31/13 7:44 PM by UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

^^^^ That's pretty much MMA math.   Rashad will not be fighting Anderson with the same strategy he fought Jones (I sure hope not for his sake at least). Jones' strategy against Anderson would 100% NOT be what it was vs Rashad. I did miss your point because it doesn't make any sense to me. Sorry.