Chandler to train with brother Jon Jones at Jackson's MMA

Even after a standout rookie season with the New England Patriots, Chandler Jones knows he can improve, and is taking lessons from an older brother to do so.

Oldest brother Arthur Jones is a defensive lineman for the Baltimore Ravens, on his first trip to the Super Bowl. But even with Arthur’s wealth of knowledge and experience in the NFL, it’s actually Chandler’s other brother, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones, 25, who he plans to learn from this offseason.

“I’m headed to Albuquerque, New Mexico to do some MMA training. We’re going to do some conditioning down there,” said Chandler in a recent interview.

The youngest Jones, just 22 years old, believes that the MMA training will actually help him become more agile against blockers and just a better pass rusher overall.

“That definitely helps you,” Jones said. “Jon has a boxing coach, a muay thai coach and a jiu jitsu coach. That helps a lot when you’re tugging, playing in the trenches. My biggest thing is I try to get my hands inside before blockers touch me so if I work on my hand speed, that’ll be a great aspect to add to my game.”

Even with an impressive first season, Jones can’t be happy to watch the Super Bowl from the sidelines this week, and he’ll undoubtedly be using his brother’s assistance to be on the field for the game at this time next year.

Read entire article...

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: UFC   Jon Jones (detail)  Chandler Jones

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

1/31/13 4:53 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

Well if you're talking being cut, so can MMA fighters.  They also have the option of going to another organization.  If you're talking the ceiling as your brought up, I have yet to hear of anyone in MMA making $15M/ year not including endorsements.

Rudi site profile image

1/31/13 4:53 PM by Rudi

I did too until i read your post.

danggook site profile image

1/31/13 4:49 PM by danggook

Well, nfl plays are subject to being cut due to lack of performance as well, although they do have the option of signing with a different team, if one is interested

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

1/31/13 4:43 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

The problem with MMA is when you lose that belt, you're no longer headlining and making PPV $$.  NFL players are on a contract so as long as they're with the team, the'll be making that.  Regarding the ceiling, Peppers made over $15M last year not including endorsements, Jared Allen made over $12M not including endorsements, Freeney over $12M, etc..  The money is there if  you're a top guy and 3 of the top 20 salaries in the NFL are DE's and about half are lineman.

dermotfix site profile image

1/31/13 4:26 PM by dermotfix

BIIING

murr25 site profile image

1/31/13 4:24 PM by murr25

He was primarily our t.e BC of his size..was always the best on the field, his defense was good too if we had to.guess wed guess he was going to go for t.e

danggook site profile image

1/31/13 2:54 PM by danggook

Arthur pulled down 540k for this season, chandler is making between 1.1 and 1.5 mill a season but he got a 4.3 mill signing bonus on top of that

quality site profile image

1/31/13 2:25 PM by quality

I wonder how much it would cost to breed with someone from the Jones family?

danggook site profile image

1/31/13 2:13 PM by danggook

I would say the ceiling for Jon is much higher than his brothers, DE in the nfl is going to make a few mill a season tops while Jon can pull down several mill a fight what with ppv cuts. And then there is all those lucrative sponsorships/endorsements that art and chandler are likely never going to see. Would be one thing if they were qb's or something.

naughtiidawg liver kicked my SN site profile image

1/31/13 12:43 PM by naughtiidawg liver kicked my SN