Jose Aldo wins close decision over Frankie Edgar, defends belt

Solidifying his hold as one of the sport's current pound-for-pound greats, Jose Aldo turned back Frankie Edgar's attempt to become only the third two-division champion in UFC history, defeating Edgar in a unanimous decision in the main event of UFC 156.

The judges scored the bout 49-46, 49-46 and 48-47 for the featherweight champion.

Of course, it wouldn't be an Edgar bout without some bit of controversy. When the final scores were read, a large part of the Mandalay Bay Events Center crowd booed the decision, believing Edgar had outworked Aldo over the last three rounds.

Title Fight Jose "Junior" Aldo Vs. Frankie "The Answer" Edgar
Fight was scheduled for 5 rounds (5x5x5x5x5) - Fight was for the Featherweight Title
Name Jose Aldo <a href=Jose Aldo" />
Height 5′ 7″ (170.18 cm)
Weight 145 (65.77 kg)
Record 20-1-0
Team Nova Uniao
VS
Name Frankie Edgar <a href=Frankie Edgar" />
Height 5′ 6″ (167.64 cm)
Weight 155 (70.31 kg)
Record 14-3-1
Team

-Jose Aldo defeated Frankie Edgar by Unanimous Decision (49-46, 48-47, 49-46)

Venum Amazonia 3.0 Fight Shorts

Venum Amazonia 3.0 Fight Shorts

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu I Got Your Back Shirt

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu I Got Your Back Shirt

Kid Salami site profile image

2/4/13 3:49 PM by Kid Salami

Finally watched this fight.  How anyone can even come close to giving Edgar the third round is beyond me.  Other than the unaffective takedown to start the round, he did absolutely nothing until the last minute and a half.  And it's not like he took over in that last minute and a half either, he just started making it competetive.  In that final minute and a half Aldo still landed the bigger shots, a higher volume of shots, and also shrugged off a takedown attempt that looked like a boy trying to wrestle his Dad.

droploaf site profile image

2/4/13 3:26 PM by droploaf

my vote goes to an aldo vs tkz matchup

The Purp site profile image

2/3/13 10:19 PM by The Purp

that was a candidate for fight of the year for me. definitely was a super fight!

Kansas Comet site profile image

2/3/13 7:25 PM by Kansas Comet

This comes off a bit harsh but I tend to agree.

Nothing2 site profile image

2/3/13 6:18 PM by Nothing2

The initial headline said Jose won in a close decision?49-46, 49-46 and 48-47 is not a close decision.

CaptainPlanet site profile image

2/3/13 12:43 PM by CaptainPlanet

Much like Guida, I think many of you confuse high energy hopping around and coming forward an entire match for some sort of offense. Yes, Edgar doesn't stop and makes people look bad, but the fact of the matter is, he rarely lands significant and/or hard strikes. For me, the cleanest wins he's had have been the second fight vs. Penn (I thought he was gifted the decision in their first fight) and the obvious TKO over Maynard. Other than that, every fight has been a toss up with me leaning towards the other fighter. By now you have to realize that his style doesn't work and maybe he needs to reinvent himself.

FormrChamp site profile image

2/3/13 12:26 PM by FormrChamp

The things some of you people come up with are amazing. I just find it funny how so many of you can talk shit about a fighter. Most of you probably haven't ever been in a real fight, a spitball fight at best....

Rhetorical site profile image

2/3/13 11:40 AM by Rhetorical

Giving Aldo the win isn't a surprise at all. The shock came when I heard two judges gave 49-46 for Aldo. I seen round 4 and 5 with Edgar clearly winning them. Round three was close but I think Aldo might have edged it. I feel Frankie won both of the Benson fights so to hear those two judges give 49-46 for Aldo, I couldn't help but be pissed. How many times does the guy have to go through that bs?

zebers3 site profile image

2/3/13 1:56 AM by zebers3

I'm just excited that we don't have to see Edgar fight for a title for at least another year or so until he wins some fights again. Back to some 3 rounders for Frankie.

stonepony site profile image