White: I don't respect Randy Couture at all

by Dave Doyle | source: mmafighting.com

"I don't respect him at all," White said. "Not even a little bit. Randy Couture, the only time Randy Couture is a man is when he sets foot in the cage. As soon as his big toe steps out of that cage, he's the furthest thing from it. That's it, that's the way I feel about it."

The heart of matter, as far as White is concerned, is the way Couture handled his departure with the company. According to White, he was alerted via letter by Couture's lawyer sometime over the holidays that Couture would not appear for his commentating duties for UFC on FOX 6 on Jan. 26.

"I called Randy, called him over and over again and wouldn't answer his phone," White said. "Three hours later, he texts me. And I said ‘did you or did you not do a deal with these guys?'"

According to White, when he and Couture finally got on the phone, "He says ‘I did not sign a deal with Spike and Bellator, but I'm talking to two other networks right now.' I said ‘If you tell me that you did not bail on my last fight to go do a deal with them, I don't give a s-- what networks you sign with. I don't care if its friggin' HBO and The Food Network, I could care less who it is. ... "He said ‘I did not sign a deal. Stop worrying, relax and have a great Christmas. We'll talk later.' To this f-- day, standing right here, right now, we still have not talked."

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Subz Zero

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Subz Zero

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

octowussy site profile image

2/4/13 1:39 PM by octowussy

Dana says "could care less" at least once an interview. Get it together.

duckhuntgangsta site profile image

2/4/13 1:36 PM by duckhuntgangsta

Randy has a history of being a maverick and listening to bad advice. I 100% agree with you, he has terrible business sense and I believe the people he surrounds himself with are looking more for the short term buck. It's a shame, but he might be destined to be the next Ken Shamrock.

BandakaKush site profile image

2/4/13 1:24 PM by BandakaKush

Randy helping a rival promotion will be good for the sport of MMA in the long run. In a couple years Bellator will be bought by Zuffa and Randy will be brought back into the fold.

duckhuntgangsta site profile image

2/3/13 6:41 PM by duckhuntgangsta

"Holy anal diameter Batman!!"

cheesesteak site profile image

2/3/13 5:04 PM by cheesesteak

When will a fighter give Dana a severe ass whooping? It's bound to happen someday, right?

MMALOGIC site profile image

2/3/13 4:59 PM by MMALOGIC

Randy should have used the bellator offer to leverage a similar or better deal with the UFC... this was a bad move.  bellashit will likely be gone in 3 years whereas zuffa is around for a very long time.

JeffersonDArcyChoke site profile image

2/3/13 4:52 PM by JeffersonDArcyChoke

Sorry for my long winded rants. It's just one guy fought in some of the best fight/events I ever watched and paid my hotel stay with his own money. Fucking Randy Couture didn't have to do that. I couldn't offer him anything but a thank you. I respect the guy who did something for a guy who could offer him nothing rather than the man who calls me a "nerd" or worse because I don't like the fights he is putting together. I apologize to all here for my tone and FRAT indeed, I'm not confrontational at all but this is just awful to do for someone who helped TUF get off the ground and many an event in the days when the company wasn't exactly in SI.

JeffersonDArcyChoke site profile image

2/3/13 4:48 PM by JeffersonDArcyChoke

If Dana White ran the NFL, Ray Lewis would be a "murderer" today instead of getting a hero's farewell that draws money. There is a reason he runs the UFC. His childhood buddies bought it. Cronyism. A man earns his spot rather than begging his rich buddies to buy a company and let him run it. Right?Yeah, I guess that's not the case with Dana. I can't wait until Ronda loses so he can melt down like $kala. Randy Couture paid for my hotel room for a weekend when my credit card didn't go through once. I guess he isn't a man if a man means being like Dana. This is bush league bullshit and infuriating. Keep it behind closed doors like a man instead of hitting up the bully pulpit like something else.

JeffersonDArcyChoke site profile image

2/3/13 4:44 PM by JeffersonDArcyChoke

This is why this sport will never be major league. Because the figurehead talks like a gangster. Yeah, figurehead. The Ferrittas own the lion's share of the UFC. Dana is a MINORITY owner. He is the Jack Tunney of 1987 WWF to Lorenzo's Vinny Mac. Having your figurehead shit on guys who made this sport like Ken, Randy and Tito is more damning than signing a Bellator contract. Hey, Eddie Alvarez?You wanna be in the UFC because you think they respect you?You're a piece of meat kid and your first loss gets you gone and the first time you have an opinion gets you on blast. Dana White operates like a bull in a china shop. He shits on "nerds" who but product and he shits on fighters who made that product palatable in the ages when no one gave a damn about the UFC. Bush league. This is why you'll never sit at the table with the NFL. Ever hear anyone from the NFL shit on Brett Favre?Ray Lewis?Ben Roethlisberger?Yeah. Professionalism. Exhibit some. Worry about that instead of this phony "be a man" bullshit.

DBlades site profile image

2/3/13 4:20 PM by DBlades

Well to be honest, he's not saying Randy is a women and can't fight. I agree with Dana, if you don't have the balls to call your boss and tell him you're not coming to work, if you have to get your liar, I mean lawyer to do it....that's a bitch move. If your boss calls you, and you dodge his call because you're obviously afraid of the ensuing confrontation...that's a bitch move. If you then proceed to answer your bosses multiple missed calls with a text....that's a bitch move. If you then proceed to tell him you'll talk later, but never reaching out to honor your word(delaying the confrontation) that's a bitch move. All in all Dana isn't exactly overreacting or exaggerating the point. He even said Randy's a man in the cage, but his actions outside, aren't exactly actions in sync with being a, well, man.