Couture: I signed NDA, but UFC had opportunity to make a deal

by Josh Gross | source: espn.com

"At the end of the day, we have to recognize we are a brand," Couture said. "We need to control our own destinies as much as we can. I think standing up for yourself and realizing I have a small window of opportunity as an athlete to make significant amount of money, and that has to carry me through the rest of my life."

Through Spira, the UFC was notified on Dec. 21 that Couture had terminated a one-year contract that called for four appearances during UFC broadcasts on Fox. The agreement included 30-day cancellation rights for both parties for any reason.

As talks between Couture and Spike TV took shape in the fall, Couture, who was party to a non-disclosure agreement, "gave [Zuffa] every opportunity we could to make them understand without disclosing what we couldn't disclose that things were heating up for me, and if they wanted to keep me it was going to take something significant.

"They passed."

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Subz Zero

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Subz Zero

tags: Randy Couture (detail)  Bellator

WrestlingSucks site profile image

2/8/13 12:52 AM by WrestlingSucks

The only way to compete with the ufc is start a niche show with fewer rules in a country that is fascinated with the newness of mma and hope you can get an up and comer to smash cans. internet mma elitists will claim your show to be superior and your up and comer to be the true champ.This is when the ufc buys your company and the up and comer gets destroyed...However, maybe you make a profit on the sale and get a couple of overrated fighters undeserved salaries for a couple of fights in the ufc. everybody wins?

TheAnomoly site profile image

2/7/13 9:11 PM by TheAnomoly

Couture chose to sign the non-disclosure agreement. He could have been upfront with the UFC, but he chose to take a different approach. For Couture to wrap himself around the non-disclosure agreement as if he had no control, seems insincere at best.

Mr Bungle site profile image

2/7/13 9:05 PM by Mr Bungle

HA! You haven't been around this sport long have you? If you say yes, then your entire reality is based in fantasy. Anyone who knows Randy, knows the real Randy. Randy is a benefactor and a product of good ol ZUFFA promotion. These same points you've said have been brought up and debunked before by better, more knowledgeable (but only slightly) "fans" than you.Actual fighter pay has never and most likely will never be truly revealed, for various, valid reasons. This shit you are spewing like jizz in a sock is getting old and tiresome and makes it hard for decent people who come here for logical, grounded-in-fact, frank discussions to continue to come here and enjoy these discussions. Bellator guys scrap, while UFC guys don't? Is that what you are trying to say? Well, when your matchmaking is as limited and amateurish as Bellator's, you are bound to get plenty of fights where One fighter is decent and the other is not. Making for a semi decent fight where the outcome is damn near predetermined, as long as you know which fighter is the semi decent one. As much as people enjoy shitting on UFC and their perceived slights towards their own fighters, how come these same people are silent when it comes to calling out Bjorn the burnt out Boxing Promoter for the typical assholish handling of too many to be coincidence incidents with fighters who never deserved the treatment they received from that guy who is an attorney, and who handles his business like an asshole attorney would? The guy was run out of Boxing for being a bigger dick than Don King and Bob Arum combined? The reason no one really knows about it is because despite the fact Don and Bob hated the guy, their ego's are too big to admit this guy got under their skin. For as much good Dana has done to advance the sport, and for a little (see: next to nothing) Bjorn has done trying to replicate Dana's success, there will forever be a certain, unpopular and misinformed group of "fans" of MMA who take every opportunity to remind every one that "Dana once called someone a faggot" or he "once called that hack reporter a bitch and a cunt", or "he did this" or "did that" or "Dana didn't respond to my tweet on twitter so fuck him, because Bellator is so much better than UFC..." (Grabs gun, blows brains out from fear of contracting these assholes stupidity)

Mr Bungle site profile image

2/7/13 8:42 PM by Mr Bungle

Being in one of the so called biggest movies of the year is great and all, but what happens if she only has a small part, or is overshadowed by larger, more marketable stars? Which is essentially what will happen with this movie. And I'm sure it will be a flop. I don't really give a shit. Not my kind of movie, nor are any of the "stars" my idea of someone I will waste 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back, watching them flex muscles and genuflect or mime certain actions/feelings/words.Sounds like loads of fun. If you are 40 years old and get your kicks from seeing hot chicks in action flicks. Or if you are 18 and a meat head and this is what pops into your head when you think "What if that Shake Spear guy lived today and made a bad ass action movie about cars and semi nude bitches and bullets and races and what if he made not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven, not....blah blah blah.I think you are right. I most likely will be a flop. Way to go Gina!

Mr Bungle site profile image

2/7/13 8:36 PM by Mr Bungle

And I can respect what you are getting at as well, as you do make some decent points, along with a few gramatical errors, but I won't get hung up on those as long as you don't point out mine as well? Deal? HA! (not picking on you, just having a little fun)Anyway, in all seriousness. I think you might have misunderstood a few of my points. I don't think Bellator is trying to compete with UFC in the slightest. Not even in the loosest definition of the word. My point was that it seems the exact opposite. Competition is great for the sport as so long as it's done right, ethically, and in the best interest of the sport.What Bellator is doing comes off to me as being shamefully retarded in that it seems as if they are more worried about the publicity they will no doubt receive from Dana by hiring 2 of his most ardent and vocal enemies, along with Greg Jackson, who Dana no doubt respects, as you pointed out, but who Dana basically called a Rat Fink, a sport killer. On the surface, which is all we as fans every really are allowed to see, it literally looks like hiring Frank Shamrock, Randy Couture, Greg Jackson, and probably the most questionable choice, someone not even the casual fans know about in Joe Warren (My guess for why they chose him was loyalty and the fact that Joe was losing fights and probably felt he didn't have that fire in him, Bellator saw that and gave him this to do instead) was nothing more than a ruse, a ploy to piss Dana off so badly that whatever vitriol and venom Dana spewed towards them, they could certainly throw up some of those quotes and send out a press release, thus my intimation that this was one part publicity stunt, one part serious. What you have in the end is some half thought out plan to essentially copy the TUF format without copying the TUF format and capitalize on Dana being Dana, hoping that alone would get casual fans talking.

Mr Bungle site profile image

2/7/13 8:21 PM by Mr Bungle

I don't know how to answer your question as I pay exactly zero shits when it comes to Ashton Cutcher, movie stars, or anyone else that people tend to hero worship for being nothing more than half ass decent at something as unnatural as "acting". Give me someone who has real talent, musicians, fighters, certain athletes (I say certain because Lance Armstrong is famous for riding a fucking bicycle). Not a big fan of actors. I enjoy some movies, movies where the actor doesn't take themselves serious or act like selfish or self obsessed primadonnas. They get paid absorbent and copious amounts of monies where as teachers get paid shit and in turn, that reflects in the ability to give a shit about their jobs, meaning our kids aren't getting educated like they should. Instead, from a very early age, children learn to accept the fact that if you are good at faking it, and have a flair for the dramatic, you are much better off being an actor than an educator. Or a fighter. Or a Doctor, or any number of professions where you are saving someone's life at little to no compensation. Also, I laugh at the fact that you truly believe Randy will some how parley this into some form of successful acting career. Yes, he starred in a big budget movie. He had approximately 20 lines in the first "Washed out Action Hero" a.k.a "Expendables" and probably half of that in the second one. (Didn't see the second one, but my powers of deducing one's natural ability or lack thereof directly correlates to the amount of dialog in each and every subsequent film thereafter, is how I arrived at that figure) Scorpion King 2? HA!And yes, the exposure of FOX shows, had he stuck it out, seeing as how this is only the first year of a multi year investment by FOX and ZUFFA, then yes, I expect Randy would have come off with better publicity than going around the country doing "MMArescue", rescuing shitty, poorly run, terribly managed mma gyms. Considering Randy's previous ventures creating his own gyms have typically ended rather poorly and in spectacular fashion, I have little faith that this show will be a hit. No one knows what the future holds. But Randy, being decent at coming off as a knowledgeable good guy at times, sitting in front of the FOX desk would have translated to something big for him. MMArescue big? Bigger.

MattyECB site profile image

2/7/13 7:41 PM by MattyECB

I'm just amazed how polarized some UGers are -- like BLAF hunted down Couture, burned down his gym, and pissed in his TRT. Are you guys that taken aback to see Dana flip out and say some angry shit right after someone burns him? Especially a dude who he expected some loyalty out of...Least he didn't manage to offend every special interest group from the LBGT to feminist communities this time

MattyECB site profile image

2/7/13 7:39 PM by MattyECB

I think anyone on the UG who, as a third party, sees Couture's actions and flips out on him is an asshole. But that doesn't mean it's abnormal for BLAF to feel betrayed and be pissy, especially in the short term lol He's the promoter, he's the guy whos worked with Couture for a decade and he's the guy who tried to get him set up as a fixture in the new MMA sceneHe probably couldn't give Couture as big a deal as he wanted and expected some type of back and forth. Instead of getting that, Couture had to follow his NDA, pushed again for a bigger deal and after not getting one, jumped right into the arms of the UFC's main competitor. Pretty normal, self-driven and career-oriented behavior on both parts, with some sprinkling of extra douchiness on Couture's part lol

MattyECB site profile image

2/7/13 7:23 PM by MattyECB

It's kind of creepy how closely that gif mirrored my reaction. Hey, I'm all for BLAF being uncharacteristically unbiased and un-promoter-like. Bigups

sawdusk site profile image

2/7/13 12:45 PM by sawdusk

not sure what the show will be about, but I'd love to see a "kitchen nightmares" type show with mma gyms...