Lamas 'dumbfounded' by Pettis vs. Aldo

by Ariel Helwani | source: mmafighting.com

"I'm pretty upset about it," Lamas told "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV. "I'm busting my ass, I put in all this work and I'm not being rewarded.

"I'm just a little dumbfounded by the whole situation."

The 30-year-old Lamas (15-2) is 4-0 since dropping down to featherweight in the UFC. His most recent win over top contender Erik Koch at UFC on FOX 6 came after wins against contenders Cub Swanson and Hatsu Hioki.

"I thought I already established I was the no. 1 contender. If Koch would have beaten me none of this would have happened."

Venum Team Aldo Shirt

Venum Team Aldo Shirt

Headrush Panther Shirt

Headrush Panther Shirt

Wasa-B site profile image

2/7/13 9:07 PM by Wasa-B

Would u wanna-be Dana's just stfu about "business" already? You don't run Zuffa either nor do u sound like you run any business. You just sound like another ug'er who thinks they can help Zuffa with their business model. Just stick to giving your fan input.

grafzep site profile image

2/7/13 8:57 PM by grafzep

Shame on me I guess but I have no memory of this guy until the Koch fight and Im the furthest thing from a casual fan.That Koch fight was great and it really got my attention because I was pretty familiar with him and thought he was a killer. Lamas put himself on the map with that fight no doubt but a title shot after 4 fights? I think he needs to put some more work in whether I take note of him or not.

Phuck Phace site profile image

2/7/13 8:46 PM by Phuck Phace

Only one thing for Lamas to do. Pack on 10 lbs and challenge Bendo vs Melendez winner.That'll get Pettis's attention.

philipee32 site profile image

2/7/13 8:07 PM by philipee32

Thats life bro.

xakx site profile image

2/7/13 2:59 PM by xakx

...oh and by the way, Lamas would destroy Pettis, Aldo and anyone else you put in his way.

xakx site profile image

2/7/13 2:58 PM by xakx

"So basically fighters should now hire PR firms, because clearly it's becoming how popular you are not whether you deserve it or not."It has always been like that. Brock was a prime example, after that whole situation I gave up on UFC.ttt for more ownage by Wasa-B, well done.

JeffersonDArcyChoke site profile image

2/7/13 1:47 PM by JeffersonDArcyChoke

No it's true. Pettis to many is "that guy who did the kick off the cage" from ESPN highlights. No one knew Anthony Pettis. They knew "matrix kick", "cage kick", etc. Pettis has superstar skills but has yet to be marketed as a superstar so this fight won't sell based on name alone. Even Aldo isn't a name as much as he should be. Dana going the Oprah route and putting his Vic Mackey mug on everything while not prompting the FIGHTERS is why we haven't replaced Chuck, Randy, Ken, Tito or Brock in the eyes of fans who used to know guys by NAME. They've sold the brand well but with interchangeable pieces instead of mighty cogs.

GoodnightWorld site profile image

2/7/13 1:29 PM by GoodnightWorld

Does that have anything to do with this discussion? Lamas ducked zero fights. If you beat the best guys in your division en route to a shot at the champ, you're now acting entitled? You're a moron. If the week before the Super Bowl the NFL said another team would draw more ad revenue, would the Ravens or 49ers be thinking "they're owed something?" They're owed what they earned. Your paycheck is not an entitlement, kid.UFC needs to decide if they are a sport or a game show. It's really starting to drive the fans to question the legitimacy of the company in it's entirety.

time traveling 12er site profile image

2/7/13 12:06 PM by time traveling 12er

Lol, everyone thinks they're owed something these days. Then when they get offered the big fight they've been asking for they turn it down because the situation isn't 100% perfect. Everyone's becoming a gamer.

Got MMAlk site profile image

2/7/13 11:38 AM by Got MMAlk

He told Ariel on the MMA hour that he only cuts two pounds to make 155. I doubt he will have trouble making weight.