Couture: I wanted to be in the UFC no matter what

by Mike Chiappetta | source: mmafighting.com

It was only about two weeks ago when Ryan Couture spoke to Dana White on the phone. The conversation is a blur. But during the brief exchange, White told Couture that his father, MMA great Randy Couture, was no longer welcome in the UFC, but that he was, as long as he wanted to honor his contract and fight in the octagon.

That was all Ryan had to hear. Regardless of the corresponding drawbacks involved, it was his dream to fight in the UFC, to compete against the best, and he didn't see any reason that an issue between his father and White should derail those plans.

"I wanted to be in the UFC no matter what," he said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "My mind was made up on that before he ever called."

So that part of the discussion came as a relief to 30-year-old Ryan Couture, who had fought in Strikeforce seven times before the promotion was gobbled up and absorbed by the UFC.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Frank Mir Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Frank Mir Action Figure

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

tags: Ryan Couture (detail)

GnP Sonnen site profile image

2/13/13 12:33 AM by GnP Sonnen

Holy shit awesome

Pessimist_Pete site profile image

2/12/13 10:37 PM by Pessimist_Pete

Not if it meant that my son's dream would get fucked up. Especially if I already had a great job, like Randy did.

GriffinQ site profile image

2/12/13 11:12 AM by GriffinQ

When did he say he would get cut if he didnt agree? He said if Ryan wanted to, they'd release him from his contract to go be in Bellator with his father. According to Ryan, he didnt even try and argue it so no one has any idea whether he would have been released if he had asked DFW if his father could corner him. And they can't match an offer if Randy doesn't make them aware of the terms of an offer, which both sides said he didn't do. Anddddd looking for a new job while still employed somewhere else is not the argument, dumbass. It's not showing up for work while you still work somewhere , and taking another job at the same time. I would not start working somewhere else until I finished my prior commitment, because that's fucking retarded. He had ONE more Fox show to show up for, a gig that he REQUESTED, and he didnt show up without even informing his employers that he wouldn't be working for them anymore. Last I checked, that's not how most people go about maintaining their reputation in the business world

NotImpressedByYourScreenName site profile image

2/12/13 10:38 AM by NotImpressedByYourScreenName

Couture missed one fox show so stop trying to make out he left them in the lurch. And yea, the UFC made Randy....the UFC that was getting a few hundred in the crowd and couldn't get on tv when Randy stuck with them. The UFC didn't do randy any favors - they made a tonne of money off him so he doesn't owe them shit.And yea, I'm sure you've never entertained other job offers while still employed. Cos everyone always quits their job FIRST and only then do they even contemplate looking at other offers.You still havent addressed why the UFC didn't even try to match Randy's offer or that Dana is a POS for telling Ryan he'd get cut if he didn't agree to not have his father corner him

Zed Wayne Zed site profile image

2/12/13 10:32 AM by Zed Wayne Zed

Well, Ryan, you have a Pearson waiting for you, who just KO'd G-Sot, so we're going to see what you're made of right off the hop.

GriffinQ site profile image

2/12/13 10:11 AM by GriffinQ

I wouldn't bail on prior commitments with a job while entertaining other offers. I would still uphold my contract and THEN enter into the negotiating period. Why sign a contract if you have no intention of seeing it through every time a better offer comes around?Maybe we differ on that account. I believe in loyalty to the people who got me where I am in life. Randy's personal and professional life indicates that he does not believe in that. I'm not the only one saying it, and it has nothing to do with Dana's statements about him.

NotImpressedByYourScreenName site profile image

2/12/13 9:58 AM by NotImpressedByYourScreenName

He had a 30 day notice period which he used, same as the UFC / Fox woulda done. Not to mention he gave Zuffa the option to match his Bellator offer and they told him to whistle.So imagine a prospective employer offered you a much better job with higher pay. You tell your current employer and give them the option to match but they decline. Does that then make you a cunt for resigning and taking the offer?? Really??Wake up and stop buying into Dana's temper tantrums

tikmovado site profile image

2/12/13 6:45 AM by tikmovado

LOL, like an employee owes anything to a job.Time in = time paid nothing is owed.Stop being so fucking dumb and trying to sound so honest.

I_LOST_A_SN_BET_TO_LEGHOUND site profile image

2/12/13 5:47 AM by I_LOST_A_SN_BET_TO_LEGHOUND

This as dad myself I would only want the best for my son and as a mma fighter UFC is the best.

Ryan Black site profile image

2/12/13 5:44 AM by Ryan Black

From what I understand, Randy lied to Dana, said we'll talk after Christmas, inked a deal with Bellator & SpikeTV, and skipped out on his last contractual obligation with Zuffa. Where I come from, people who conduct business endeavors like that are not spoken of too highly.From what I understand, Bellator "matched" the Alvarez contract by promising that he'll be showcased on pay-per-view within the year. I haven't heard any news about this possible Bellator PPV, but the idea certainly has potential. I would buy it if it happens- however unlikely it may seem at the moment.If I were Ryan's father, I would certainly be excited and happy to see my son follow in my footsteps, and compete against the greatest fighters in the sport on the grandest stage for the most money he could make. It's my son's career and my son's livelihood. Two things he has his own rights to- as an athlete and as a man. Just my opinion, based on what I have heard from both parties in various interviews on the subject. Best of luck to Ryan and Randy. And Eddie Alvarez, for that matter.