Carmouche never thought being lesbian a big deal

source: mmaweekly.com

“I’m the first ever openly lesbian UFC fighter and I never expected that it was gonna be a big deal,” Carmouche said during a segment of UFC Ultimate Insider. “It’s just me; I was just trying to be myself and not hide anymore.

“I never thought that I would go from being so sheltered and so closet in the Marine Corps to being the spokesperson for the LGBT community.”

Although she has found this new role in her life, Carmouche’s focus remains on Rousey and what it’s going to take to be the first fighter to defeat her.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Jaco Training Shorts

Jaco Training Shorts

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

tags: Liz Carmouche (detail)  UFC 157   video

UltimatePower site profile image

2/15/13 11:07 PM by UltimatePower

Overeem, Diaz, Rousey, Melendez, Bigfoot, Cormier, Woodley, Saffediene... Where we're they before UFC? Oh yea... STRIKE FORCE.The UFC treats their fans as people who can't handle the complexities. Stikeforce never mentioned Carmouche's sexuality because reducing her identity to whether or not she prefers men is an oversimplified insult to rational individuals.Yes I am drunk.

Old Thrashbarg site profile image

2/15/13 8:29 PM by Old Thrashbarg

Right. Strikeforce did it their way, ufc did it their way. Which one is still in business?

morotetsuke site profile image

2/15/13 7:14 PM by morotetsuke

Then stop bringing it up...I got. It. We all got it.

madvillain11 site profile image

2/15/13 6:53 PM by madvillain11

yea i see your point. but do you know anyone whos ever taking a survey cause i dont. the type of people that go out of there way to take these surveys are the most culturaly influenced types. but i see peoples points on here where they say carmouch is always talking about it. but she does that cause people respond. in my view its not worth responding or mentioning. its really a weird topic, were if an outside intelligence could look at it they would think humans are just sooo weird.

HexRei site profile image

2/15/13 5:47 PM by HexRei

Smart people, that's debatable, but there certainly is a large contingent of people in many countries for whom sexual orientation is an issue. Here in America example, nearly half of those polled by Gallup last summer thought gay sex was morally wrong. http://www.gallup.com/poll/154634/Acceptance-Gay-Lesbian-Relations-New-Normal.aspxThe number is certainly still more favorable than just five years ago, but it is what it is.

FLMikeATT site profile image

2/15/13 5:01 PM by FLMikeATT

pics of her girlfriend?for research...

madvillain11 site profile image

2/15/13 4:58 PM by madvillain11

it shouldnt even be talked about. the fact that everyone talks about sexual prefernce is a weird thing. why would you care what gives a guy a boner or a girl a wet willie? people talk about these subjects like theres some force of smart people out there thinking being gay is an issue. theres not. as a society we should put a negative label on people that like to talk about others sexual preference. as a group, humans are just so culturaly and socially retarded.

cheesesteak site profile image

2/15/13 4:29 PM by cheesesteak

that's kind of the way I see it. Alot of people flaunt their "differentness" in hopes of someone trashing them so they can let out their pent up aggression and counter trash the trashee. I see it happen all the time. Lots of people passive aggressively try to pick fights...Just calling it like I see it. Not referring to Carmouche in particular.

MisterFixit site profile image

2/15/13 4:19 PM by MisterFixit

It would be more accurate to say that they go out of their way to let people know they are gay them get bent out of shape when anyone has anything negative to say about it.

HexRei site profile image

2/15/13 4:13 PM by HexRei

owhere in the article does she complain about people talking about it