Vinny Magalhaes picks Chael Sonnen to beat Jon Jones at UFC 159 on 4/27

Vinny Magalhaes recently appeared on BJPenn.com Radio for a wide-ranging interview that included UFC light heavyweight Jon Jones vs. Vinny's close friend and training partner Chael Sonnen.

“People are used to seeing Chael talking and losing in title fights to Anderson Silva but I don’t think people realize that Anderson is a totally different animal than Jon Jones," said Magalhaes. "I think Anderson is a much better fighter than Jon Jones and Jon hasn’t been tested off his back and that’s exactly where Chael is going to be able to put him.

"I think Chael takes a decision in that fight, it’s a tough fight but I don’t see it as a mismatch like most people think it is. People just don’t get it and are like ‘oh well you know Chael hasn’t won a fight at light heavyweight in years and even when he fought at light heavyweight he lost’ and all this stuff but styles make matches.

"Even though Anderson beat him both times, Chael’s style was perfect for him to beat Anderson and I think he’s also got the perfect style to beat Jones. He’s not going to be looking to trade punches, Chael is going to be looking to fight on the inside which could present some problems for Jones and I think Chael is more than capable of taking him down.

"I don’t think Jones has the capability of submitting Chael off his back, not that he’s not good there but he’s not as good as Anderson is to be able to do that and it took Anderson five rounds to do it. Even when Anderson submitted him, from my point of view it was more of a mistake of Chael’s than Anderson being great on the ground. I won’t get as far to say that Chael finishes Jon but I definitely think he wins a decision.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

MarkRobinson site profile image

2/16/13 3:15 AM by MarkRobinson

I just rewatched the fight. The strike that hurt chael comes in with 3:45 left in the second round.

MarkRobinson site profile image

2/16/13 12:23 AM by MarkRobinson

Yeah that's the one I'm talking about. Chael threw some sloppy strikes and Anderson caught him while backing away.It was clear that Chael was hurt, then he got even sloppyier with the spinning back fist. The rest is history.

Frank Gallagher site profile image

2/15/13 5:19 PM by Frank Gallagher

Well yeah if they were to fight 100x I'm guessing chael COULD sub Silva at least once.

likatiga site profile image

2/15/13 5:15 PM by likatiga

thread is useless without pics of vinny.beep

Stigga site profile image

2/15/13 5:02 PM by Stigga

Boom....Roasted

Vinny Magalhães site profile image

2/15/13 4:53 PM by Vinny Magalhães

I said he could have, English isn't even my first language but I know the difference between "could" and "will". I'm just going to guess that English isn't your first language either.

tonytr site profile image

2/15/13 4:35 PM by tonytr

This inexplicable hatred for Jones is getting old. I love Chael, I was rooting for him against Silva both times, but he's going to get destroyed. Everybody acts like Jones hasn't faced a great wrestler before. He has. Many times. And he's never been taken down. Granted, Sonnen is a master of the double leg, so he might pull off one or two. But Jones will pop back up, and if he doesn't...triangle choke. No doubt.

MMARAIDER site profile image

2/15/13 4:15 PM by MMARAIDER

Hahaha who has a bookie nowadays?Good luck on your bet tho

DBlades site profile image

2/15/13 4:15 PM by DBlades

Ahhhh, the same Vinny who predicted Chael would sub Anderson, or did he just say that Chael "could" sub him? Regardless Vinny's track record when it comes to predictions, well I don't think they're that great.On another note, I can respect Chael, because he does put his money where his mouth is. It's true, when the ref says go, Chael does not back down or take his time. I'm hoping for a good fight.

Frank Gallagher site profile image