White: DON'T f@$%ing turn down Joe Silva

This life has only a few fundamental rules that cannot be broken.

"You don't tug on superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask of the ol' lone ranger," and according to UFC president Dana White, you don't turn down UFC VP for Talent Relations Joe Silva.

“I can tell you this man, you f@$%ing call Joe Silva and turn down a fight, you might as well say f@$%ng rip up my contract," said White at the UFC on Fuel TV 7 post-fight media scrum. "He’s a mean little f@$%er. You don’t call Joe Silva and tell him you don’t want to f@$%ing fight anybody man. You might as well take the fight because it’s going be worse if you don’t. You might as well do it, f@$% it, I’ll fight him."

The Matchmaker, although famously low key, is widely regarded as one of the most powerful figures in the sport.

Transcritpion by fightlinker...

Image courtesy of Tracy Lee's CombatLifestyles.com

UFC Elite Series Open Face Headgear

UFC Elite Series Open Face Headgear

UFC Fine Gauge Jacquard Beanie

UFC Fine Gauge Jacquard Beanie

tags: UFC   Joe Silva   Dana White

BertR site profile image

2/21/13 8:35 AM by BertR

To be honest it's partly their fault for allowing themselves to be bullied and intimidated by a promoter without organizing. When more fighters realize they've got the ability to flex real muscle in marketing and controlling their own career instead of submitting to hitching their ride to a carnival barker in Dana and his puppet masters, the more they'll be able to be in control of their own destiny and get more equity out of Zuffa.

Nucky site profile image

2/21/13 8:12 AM by Nucky

Rich Franklin/  Tito / Jon Jones / Guftasson/ Rua and about 25 other fighters all told Silva to go get his fucking shine box and turned down fights before so what is DW even talking about.

Chimonos Revenge site profile image

2/21/13 8:05 AM by Chimonos Revenge

Muddied because how corrupt the promoters and matchmaking are?

jbapk site profile image

2/20/13 9:28 PM by jbapk

This has nothing to do with what I posted or White said, but I suppose you do excel at nonsense distractions.

PrettyBoy site profile image

2/20/13 9:20 PM by PrettyBoy

But Dana just said if you turn him down you might as well tear up your contract... So it's not really that simple of a decision is it.

Jason Reinhardt site profile image

2/20/13 7:28 PM by Jason Reinhardt

D241, Wow! I very much appreciate your support. It's people like you who push me to not quit. I never look at my life being harder than anyones. EVER!! We all have battles which should never be measured greater or less than our fellow man or woman. As the real fight isn't even inside that Damn Cage, it's outside! My wife tells me i wear my heart on my sleeve. I really don't know what that means? I'm just me. I would love to tell my story someday with the hopes of helping others go after their dreams and never quit. Life is all about attitude and how you treat people along the way. I beleive in Loyalty among other things. Have i had struggles, and continue to..of course. But, i will Overcome no matter what. This is part of the beauty about martial arts and how it can truly change peoples lives for the better! Again, thank you for your support and i wish you all the best! Your friend.

D241 site profile image

2/20/13 6:27 PM by D241

UFC's policy on fighters taking short notice fights-   If you can't cut the weight, we'll cut you

KZTT_FawkingxD site profile image

2/20/13 6:22 PM by KZTT_FawkingxD

Is this why people were cut?

CindyO site profile image

2/20/13 6:16 PM by CindyO

Its simple really; if Joe calls don't accept a fight at a weight you likely cannot make and cause Joe to have to pick up the phone... again... to find another replacement. If you can't make the weight, tell him the first time so he can simply offer the fight to the next guy. But if you accept the fight at a certain weight you better be able to make it.   Cindy

TheKidAintMine site profile image

2/20/13 6:15 PM by TheKidAintMine

Great post! Thanks Cindy! DM saying he can make 2 different weights and then failing to do so reflects really poorly on him.