Jacob Volkmann released by UFC

Jacob Volkmann @JacobVolkmann
Was just cut from the UFC today. I want to thank the fans, and say i gave it my all. No regrets.

Jacob Volkmann won nine straight fights, and entered the UFC undefeated. Then he lost his first two fights in the Octagon, but the organization retained him, and for good reason - he won the next five fights. Bad news was, they were all by decision, two split, and the average fan did not find his style compelling.

In 2012 he lost to Paul Sass and scored an early submission win over Shane Roller. Last Saturday he lost via submission to Bobby Green.

And now he is gone.

There is no mathematical formula for how many consecutive losses leads to a cut. Dan Hardy won five in a row, but then lost four in a year, and was not cut. The decision to retain his services proved to be a sound one, as "The Outlaw" has since won two straight.

Fighters have been cut after a single loss.

Antonio McKee toiled in the trenches for 12 years, including winning 15 straight fights, when he was signed by the UFC. After a single split decision loss, ironically to Volkmann, he was released.

The difference between McKee and Hardy, and between Volkmann and Hardy, is that the average fan finds Dan Hardy exciting, and McKee or Volkman, not nearly as much.

Volmann was perhaps further encumbered by a public face that was so given to gaffes that the Secret Service paid him a visit (he said he was upset with President Obama, and wanted to fight him).

Mixed martial arts is a sport, but it is also a business, the asses in seats business.

If you have a great record, the UFC is obliged to give you a contract. And if you keep winning, they are obliged to keep giving you shots. But if you are not exciting and you don't win, even once, there is a long line of hopefuls behind you, with solid records and the desire to make the crowd roar, and they will be eating your lunch.

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

tags: UFC   Jacob Volkmann (detail)

gooddoc site profile image

2/20/13 4:20 PM by gooddoc

Ok moran

newjack900 site profile image

2/20/13 4:16 PM by newjack900

Will I miss him? No... Should he have been cut? I don't think so (I believe he did have a 5 fight win-streak at 1 pt in the UFC). I actually thought his last fight was an amazing fight and very entertaining. While his style isn't something I wanna see from fighters top to bottom on a card, he was still a solid fighter for the prelims. A good litmus test for guys trying to take the next step in their careers. The UFC has a lot of cards these days, I'm sure he will be back in no time at all. His style will allow him to dominate the smallers orgs. He will grind out 1-2 decisions then be back. If there's any injuries at 55 the UFC will call him up.

DanUK site profile image

2/20/13 2:14 PM by DanUK

At least he's clear to run for President in 2016..

Vitor the Taxi Driver Belfort site profile image

2/20/13 2:13 PM by Vitor the Taxi Driver Belfort

My apologies, he did make weight on teh second attempt. But he came in over and it was part of the reason for his poor performance vs Green. I think they didnt like that

Bentleysuper8 site profile image

2/20/13 1:52 PM by Bentleysuper8

Voted up

tom gunning site profile image

2/20/13 1:35 PM by tom gunning

Maybe no one has mentioned it because you're making this up. The dude weighed in at 156 for his last fight.

GriffinQ site profile image

2/20/13 12:55 PM by GriffinQ

He did? I didn't even realize that

FreakDaddy site profile image

2/20/13 12:55 PM by FreakDaddy

That did not help him for sure......I did not remember him missing weight....He did not give the King enough respect.....

Vitor the Taxi Driver Belfort site profile image

2/20/13 12:54 PM by Vitor the Taxi Driver Belfort

Maybe I missed it, but has no one mentioned that he MISSED weight yet? I think theyre more pissed about that