Zahabi: MacDonald trains too hard

by Steven Marroco | source: mmajunkie.com

Firas Zahabi had the same discussions with UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre as he's having now with the titleholder's teammate, Rory MacDonald.

"He trains too hard," Zahabi told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I tell him all the time."

"Rory is very upset that he will not be able to face Carlos, but he's looking forward to getting back to training as soon as possible," wrote MacDonald's manager, Lex McMahon, in a prepared statement.

Zahabi, though, said it's far too early to tell when MacDonald will be back in the cage.

"Now, I just want him to focus on rehabbing his injury, coming back slow and building up the pace," he said. "This is part of fighting. People get injured, but we have to try to keep it at an absolute minimum. It's a big challenge."

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

TheRealMattyS site profile image

2/20/13 7:15 PM by TheRealMattyS

I think its even stopped me from spelling thread titles correctly

GriffinQ site profile image

2/20/13 3:38 PM by GriffinQ

Highly doubt it

Motivated Penn site profile image

2/20/13 3:22 PM by Motivated Penn

Bingo. And I'm a BJ Penn fan. You still hit the mark.The more you hate new comers and worship the old guys, the higher cred you get on the UG. If you say Sakuraba could be LW champ in the UFC in 2013, or that Bruce Lee would beat Brock Lesnar, I think you automatically become a mod or something.There are still guys saying Jon Jones is untested.On the specific case of Rory though, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy you'd want to have a chat with. I don't hold it against him, but he's not exactly the life of the party! :D

bonerfart site profile image

2/20/13 1:44 PM by bonerfart

I hope he gets better.

Smorgle site profile image

2/20/13 1:41 PM by Smorgle

Repeated pulling out of fights makes you wonder if the ufc brass would have words with him and other fighters or dock pays for continual card shufflings.

Cyril Jeff site profile image

2/20/13 1:23 PM by Cyril Jeff

just seems like it's brewing, I don't think Rory is thin skinned, but he's made several comments about "doing things his own way", and here Firas is being somewhat critical of him... I certainly am not claiming any inside info, just looks like it might happen imo.

UGCTT_EnderTL site profile image

2/20/13 11:07 AM by UGCTT_EnderTL

To set up a GSP fight? I think Tristar would rather avoid it, but they are going to wait so they can see how the cards fall. If Rory beats Condit it might definitely happen though.. especially if Condit beats Hendricks.

Sprawl'n'Stall site profile image

2/20/13 11:00 AM by Sprawl'n'Stall

Why would he change camp for that? I think fighters have thicker skins than many UGers. He just said he trains too hard, like GSP used to.As for an "odd injury", 2-3 weeks of NOT training at all so close to a fight is a conditioning killer, and of course your skills can't be as sharp either.So it doesn't matter if he is 100% healthy come fight time if he hasn't been able to train for consecutive weeks just prior to that.

roryfan87 site profile image

2/20/13 10:52 AM by roryfan87

Not sure, but it would sure make the Rory vs GSP talk heat up :-)

roryfan87 site profile image

2/20/13 10:51 AM by roryfan87

I asked this but the post, along with epwar's original post, was deleted.I'm guessing it had to do with the guy who called Rory a "classless weirdo douchebag." Methinks that is perceived as fighter bashing, and rightly so

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!