Edgar wants five round main event vs. Swanson

source: mmamania.com

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion and featherweight title challenger Frankie Edgar is looking to get back in the win column sooner than later, and "The Answer" believes Cub Swanson is the right man to help get him there.

On Tuesday's edition of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV, correspondent Ariel Helwani reported the New Jersey native would like to fight Swanson in a five-round UFC main event on a FUEL TV or FX card later this year.

Edgar (15-4-1) is riding a career-worst three-fight losing streak after back-to-back defeats to current 155-pound champion Ben Henderson and then a subsequent loss to featherweight champ Jose Aldo at UFC 156 in his 145-pound debut earlier this month.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu I Got Your Back Shirt

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu I Got Your Back Shirt

Venum Amazonia 3.0 Fight Shorts

Venum Amazonia 3.0 Fight Shorts

Oprahs Queefs Are My Air Supply site profile image

2/20/13 11:06 AM by Oprahs Queefs Are My Air Supply

No one wants to see pitter patter Edgar in a 5 rounder   Edgar loses the first two rounds, come back in the 3rd and loses a controversial decision.  That sounds familiar....

sadisticsoldier site profile image

2/20/13 10:34 AM by sadisticsoldier

You are saying the last lightweight champ, who has only lost against champions since, he only deserves to open a PPV or co-main on free tv? Do you fill the rest of that PPV card with all championship fights or something? He has been in the top billing in his last 6 fights, all of which were PPVs. Now he barely makes it onto a UFC PPV?

zebers3 site profile image

2/20/13 9:03 AM by zebers3

I think this is a good fight but it should be nothing more than a co-main to free event or a PPV opener. Frankie doesn't deserve a 5 rounder and should show that he can still win a 3 round fight. If he beats Cub, have him face the Mendes/Guida winner (Mendes) for a shot at the belt.

sadisticsoldier site profile image

2/20/13 7:10 AM by sadisticsoldier

Well, the first dude was joking that Edgar get an immediate rematch and than drop down in weight when he lost because this is a trend. I don't really see it as a trend, but I get the joke. Faber dropped down after a couple failed attempts. Penn moved up after an immediate rematch. Sonnen moved up after a 2nd failed attempt. Cruz moved down after losing to Faber once, not really close, but probably still something people think about. Florian dropped down for a title shot. Pettis is dropping down for a title shot. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.Another barely comprehensible dude misread the title as Aldo wanting the fights, not Edgar. He was talking about Barao because recently it was mentioned that he'd like to move up to FW once Aldo moves up to LW. However, I'd have to imagine that Barao would at least like to have earned the undisputed championship before doing that. Maybe he'd like to defend it too.

Sal Penis site profile image

2/20/13 7:07 AM by Sal Penis

So he wants a 5 round fight...why does that not surprise me.

KingstonHawkeJr site profile image

2/20/13 4:45 AM by KingstonHawkeJr

Why do people keep mentioning Barao? They do realize that this is a completely different division right?

ChuckManson site profile image

2/20/13 3:29 AM by ChuckManson

Whoever it is, I'm sure it will be another close fight going to a "controversial" decision with a rematch following. Then he will rinse and repeat until he has to move to different weight division again. I think big John was referring to fighters like Edgar when he was talking about how some judges will see a person moving around a lot and say "wow, he's really active" and judge heavily on that while Big John is in the ring and thinking "wow, none of that connected". I think Edgar could be so much better if when he fought he tried to do MORE than the other person, rather then just meet his opponents damage. His fights become so controversial because of that and his constant hand, head and foot movement when he is not engaging which makes him appear to do more than he actually is.

ChaosOverkill site profile image

2/20/13 3:20 AM by ChaosOverkill

wait Frankie DOESN'T WANT an immediate rematch like the haters insisted he always is responsible for wanting and getting EVVVVVVIL FRANKIE KILL KILL KILL!!?!?!!!   Seriously though they are good fights.

UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby site profile image

2/20/13 3:16 AM by UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby

Well lucky for you that you wouldn't have to pay cuz it'll be on a free card if it was a 5 rounder heh.

Dandikus site profile image

2/20/13 3:16 AM by Dandikus

Gotta love Frankie always pushing for a tough fight. I would love a 5 rounder but I doubt that will happen. Frankie's still got a huge name but for him and Cub to headline a card without a title being on the line seems highly unlikely right now.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!