Dan Henderson is favor of UFC-monitored TRT use

by Matt Erickson & John Morgan |

"Everyone's situation is different," Henderson told MMAjunkie.com after a workout for UFC 157, where he fights Lyoto Machida (18-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC) in the co-main event at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., on Saturday. "It could be a legitimate reason, it could not be – and obviously that makes it a little bit more fishy. But maybe the UFC just needs everyone to see (the UFC) doctor to begin with and go through their testing and make sure it's legitimate, then monitor it a little better. It's not too tough to monitor."

Henderson, a former PRIDE and Strikeforce champion, has not fought since a five-round decision win over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 139 in November 2011. He was scheduled to meet Jon Jones for the light heavyweight title at UFC 151 this past September, but a knee injury forced him out and the card ultimately was canceled.

Henderson said random testing throughout the sport will help curb the abuse of performance-enhancing drugs in general, as well as for those who might be taking advantage of their TUEs.

"I would welcome random drug testing for that and for everything," he said. "I think that would really help clean up the sport a lot and really give it a better (reputation). When people look at it, it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. So hopefully the UFC implements random drug testing."

TRT-use">read entire article...

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Clinch Gear Pro Series Fire Shorts

Clinch Gear Pro Series Fire Shorts

tags: Dan Henderson (detail)  TRT

GoodnightWorld site profile image

2/21/13 5:30 PM by GoodnightWorld

I'm not going to get into the ability of juice to mimic test productions, and esters, and aromatase and the chemistry. I know what the compounds do, I was being generic.The point is that Dana is saying, and most agree, that using test IS CHEATING. So Decision Dan saying it needs to be moderated is like getting pulled over and telling the cop he should be more aware of dangerous drivers.

granderojo site profile image

2/21/13 1:35 PM by granderojo

Kind of a lot wrong with your post. Steroids do not increase "production" (technically they decrease it) and neither does trt. You also missed that Hendo is condoning testing for other steroids (besides testosterone) AS WELL AS increased monitoring of legal trt users so that fighters don't abuse their TUEs.

GoodnightWorld site profile image

2/21/13 1:24 PM by GoodnightWorld

Good lord. This was exactly DFW's point. The fighters cycle up and down to avoid a pre-fight test failure. It's cheating. The fighters with prescriptions do it and the ones without a prescription do it. Why should it be legal for some and not others? It's still cheating.

ranier wolfcastle site profile image

2/21/13 1:20 PM by ranier wolfcastle

as long as his test levels are in the normal/legal range, its cool with me

GoodnightWorld site profile image

2/21/13 1:19 PM by GoodnightWorld

Let me help you. TRT= increased testosterone production. Steroids = increased testosterone production. Henderson wants TRT regulated by a doctor...which is what they already do. He says "test guys randomly, I'm all for it. I will keep doing steroids prescribed by my doctor though. It should still be legit." Not complicated. He is splitting hairs and begging the question. Fans say "ban steroid users, they're cheating," Dan says "I'm for stopping others from their steroid abuse, guys." See how he dodged that?

vruntson site profile image

2/21/13 12:56 PM by vruntson

TRT usage...FULL STOP...should be banned. I do not buy into this BS Re low levels of testosterone = I'm allowed to then bump my levels back up again.Hendo should be retired.IMO, Machida will put an end to this crap.

Barbalos site profile image

2/21/13 10:46 AM by Barbalos

What? That's not what Dan said at all. He said he is in favour of random testing, ergo, he would not be as likely to be able to 'abuse the system'. Did you even read the OP?

GoodnightWorld site profile image

2/21/13 10:42 AM by GoodnightWorld

Sorry. I meant that anybody who exhibits a behavior which might get him in trouble/cost him money would love to see the regulations on that behavior removed or kept purposefully minimal. Case-to-case basis is what TRT has now, Decision Dan is asking for no changes....because he is abusing the system.

ABE FROMAN site profile image

2/21/13 9:19 AM by ABE FROMAN

When the UG blog quotes someone with no tricks it means he's a fan.

flipmode site profile image

2/21/13 6:34 AM by flipmode

Hey everybody else is cheating with steroids.. but not me!

MMA clothing and gear