Machida still pondering move to middleweight

by Dave Doyle | source: mmafighting.com

"Yeah, if I have a chance, I'd like to fight at 185 pounds," Machida said. "Maybe I can fight in both classes, you know? Everybody saw when I drank water before [stepping on] the scale last time. I showed everyone I can, that I can drop down."

Of course, there's a big obstacle awaiting Machida if he was to drop to middleweight: One of his best friends in the business is his Black House campmate, champion Anderson Silva.

"The champion is my friend," Machida said. "He's Anderson Silva. He will continue his career here. He's number one pound-for-pound in the world."

Venum Competitor Brazil Inspired Dry Fit Shirt

Venum Competitor Brazil Inspired Dry Fit Shirt

Roots of Fight Machida Karate Shirt

Roots of Fight Machida Karate Shirt

tags: Lyoto Machida (detail)  UFC 157

ufc98newb site profile image

2/21/13 1:59 PM by ufc98newb

I dont' think people saying this are taking a shot at the mw division. A lot of people think he is the no.2 lhw, so it's not a stretch to think he would be the best guy in a Silva-less MW division.

kylekanada site profile image

2/21/13 1:56 PM by kylekanada

I like this idea

IHangFromBJsBallSack site profile image

2/21/13 12:01 PM by IHangFromBJsBallSack

I always had a dream that jones would go to heavyweight get ktfo'ed actually nah I would have respect if he moved up and would make me a fan, Anderson moves up and lyoto moves down. That would make me love the UFC forever.

shb site profile image

2/21/13 11:37 AM by shb

and demetrious johnson

BshMstr site profile image

2/21/13 10:59 AM by BshMstr

makes sense to me....it seems like Anderson's only looking at superfights and money fights at this point in his career, anyway.

jzus14 site profile image

2/21/13 10:47 AM by jzus14

yeah machida can dominate the mw, if anderson beats weidman and then leaves to superfights... and i dont see rashad giving machida a challenge at 185, maybe chael comes back down and with his wrestling and pressure can become champion by beating machida 185 lol but OMG if chael holds a belt, i love the guy, but no one could handle his mouth!

Barbalos site profile image

2/21/13 10:43 AM by Barbalos

I don't really think Machida would be as competitive with Silva as some others do. But it's a moo point IIRC, they are close, or at least they were, and both said they wouldn't fight the other. He could do awesome against the rest of MW though, IMO.

jzus14 site profile image

2/21/13 10:40 AM by jzus14

i see him fighting for the tittle soon! i see silva having two more fights at 185, then vs gsp, and his last fight in the sport vs jon jones.. joe rogan said last night on his podcast that ANDERSON SILVA told him that he can make 170 EASILY!! so if silva says is preparing to fight gsp at 170!! so machida and rashad can have the rematch at 185!

orcus site profile image

2/21/13 2:26 AM by orcus

Good call, although Cruz only had one loss at 145. And that loss certainly had nothing to do with size.

Vitor the Taxi Driver Belfort site profile image