UFC releases official statement on Matt Riddle, win overturned

The UFC has released an official statement on the release of Matt Riddle, following his second positive test for marijuana.

Matthew Riddle tested positive for marijuana metabolites following his bout at UFC on FUEL TV 7 in London, England on February 16, 2013. This is Riddle’s second failed drug test for marijuana within the past seven months. Riddle previously failed a post-fight drug test due to marijuana following his UFC 149 victory over Chris Clements.

As such, the UFC organization is exercising its right to terminate Riddle for breach of his obligations under his Promotional Agreement as well as the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy. The UFC organization has a strict, consistent policy against the use of any illegal and/or performance-enhancing drugs, stimulants or masking agents. The outcome of the bout against Che Mills was changed to a no contest and the results of the positive test will be reported to the official Association of Boxing Commissions MMA record-keeper.

Read entire statement...

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

tags: UFC   Matt Riddle (detail)

kalki site profile image

3/1/13 8:48 PM by kalki

fuck you dana.....

Ballbagmcgee site profile image

3/1/13 4:47 PM by Ballbagmcgee

Weed isn't shit, it puts you in a good mood and you might get sleepy or hungry.....pretty crazy. The worst part of weed is a dry mouth, red eyes, and awkward in public situations sometimes. Haha definitely not a crime like people make it out to be.

the geek site profile image

3/1/13 4:27 PM by the geek

Ryann, I get your point and I don't have the answers to this debate, I'm merely stating my opinion.I think that most medically prescribed medications are OK in the UFC as long as they are properly disclosed. From what I have read from Riddle is that he takes weed for medical reasons and he stopped taking it 3 weeks before the fight. I have read nothing about him providing the UFC with the documentation required to support the use of it, the same guidelines required for TRT, etc.I also live in BC, the weed capital of North America, where it's as easy to get a medical marijuana card as it is to the marijuana itself. I'm extremely skeptical whenever I hear "I have glaucoma, trouble sleeping, migraines". I have NO problem at all with people smoking weed, it just drives me crazy when they try to disguise it as medically necessary, it devalues those who legitimately need marijuana for medical reasons.Anyway, I'll end my opinion related rant and thanks for the conversation bud.

chaplinshouse site profile image

3/1/13 4:17 PM by chaplinshouse

agree.  the rule may be pointless but rules are rules and you can't let it get in the way of putting food on the table.

RyannVonReemjob site profile image

3/1/13 4:07 PM by RyannVonReemjob

Would they require him to control his antidepressants? Asthma inhalor(pops you for steriods)? Etc...

the geek site profile image

3/1/13 3:59 PM by the geek

I'll have to take your word for it bro.I guess though that's still a reason to have it banned. There are a lot of athletes who have stated that they have taken roids not to get stronger but for the recover benefits so I guess the same rule should apply for other drugs.Having said that I guess a big difference would be that roids would actually aid in the recovery time of the injury where as weed would just mask the pain. It's an interesting debate but at the end of the all Riddle new it was banned. He stated that he stopped taking it 3 weeks out which he feels should have been ample time to get it out of his system. But again, when it come to my job I don't fuck around with "should be's", I always error on the side of caution and over prepare. My family depends on my income, if my employment is dependent on something that I can control I'm sure as fuck going to control it.Cheers mate.

chaplinshouse site profile image

3/1/13 3:45 PM by chaplinshouse

Same here.  Snapped both my ankles and weed worked better than anything the doc gave me.  BUT....  that is for recovery pain healing.  NOT 'as it happens' pain.  For instance, if someone punches you in the face while you're high, u will feel it even more than not high.  that's why sex feels better on weed.  you're more sensitive to things AS THEY HAPPEN.  but when it comes to recovery, weed is the best.

the geek site profile image

2/28/13 7:36 PM by the geek

I don't know about that. I remember I broke my leg (spiral fracture of the tibia) wrestling when I was 16 and cheeba took all the pain away. I would think if it could help take away the pain of a broken leg it'll make a punch in the face feel a little less like a punch in the face. I could be wrong but that's my experience.

Cha0s008 site profile image

2/28/13 5:15 PM by Cha0s008

Weed helps with chronic pain.You're not gonna feel any less pain if somebody punches you in the face or tries to snap off a limb. That's just not how it works.

butthurt for my frankie site profile image

2/28/13 12:02 PM by butthurt for my frankie