Mark Hunt: Martial arts saved my life

Mark Hunt, who fights Stefan Struve in the co-main event of UFC on FUEL TV 8 this weekend, tells FUEL TV that fighting saved his life.

"If I wasn't a fighter, I'd probably be in jail," said Mark Hunt. "Like I said before, fighting saved my life. As a kid I was always doing stupid things, but, combat sports, martial arts saved me. When everyone else didn't believe in me, it was just me that believed in myself.

"Fighting, it saved me from that chip on my shoulder, it took that chip away. I didn't have to prove anything. Martial arts gave that to me. That's the blessing it gave to me."

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: UFC   Mark Hunt (detail)

Mylott site profile image

2/28/13 9:35 PM by Mylott

I've been using and abusing hardcore for years. I started mma 3.5 years ago with Muay Thai being my main discipline. It saved me big time. I boxed and did karate growing up and by the time I was 20 partying took over. I was going since 10-11 years old. I always wanted to get into mma but had other not so nice priorities. THANK GOD I got off my ass and walked into that gym because it gave me that thing I needed to fill that void. Anyone who has a problem with mixed martial arts is an ignorant moron!! Now I have my two very young sons in there with me and I couldn't imagine a greater gift. I'm considering starting a private sponsorship programs for kids who can't afford to train, that's how much of a special gift I think MMA is. It saved me, and for all of you others out there, and I know there's a lot of us, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I've never met better more solid, passionate people.

muaythai1622 site profile image

2/28/13 7:43 PM by muaythai1622

Whatever the reason, it's a great way to change your life!

46and2degrees site profile image

2/28/13 7:43 PM by 46and2degrees

Big fan of Hunt. Love seeing him fight.

Willy the Coyote site profile image

2/28/13 7:33 PM by Willy the Coyote

Cool. I'm 28 and recently started MT. Drugs and boozing weren't problems for me, but I'm using it more as an antidepressant.

muaythai1622 site profile image

2/28/13 7:28 PM by muaythai1622

I'm 35 now and have had quite a few fights. I am by now way a top contender but it gives me purpose.

muaythai1622 site profile image

2/28/13 7:27 PM by muaythai1622

Around 30 took me a long time to get my life straight.

hellride site profile image

2/28/13 7:18 PM by hellride

I would love to see hunt and JDS fight. War Super Samoan!

Willy the Coyote site profile image

2/28/13 7:12 PM by Willy the Coyote

MuayThai, how old were you when you turned things around?

ViciousCesar site profile image

2/28/13 7:11 PM by ViciousCesar

I wasn't a huge fan of Hunt back in the Pride days (mainly because he rocked my boy, Wandy). But over the years I've really come to like the dude. I really like the dude's personality and demeanor.

hubris site profile image

2/28/13 7:06 PM by hubris

damn that's a scary dude to meet in jail

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!