Lombard concerned about potential release

MMAJunkie's Steven Marrocco profiles Hector Lombard, ahead of his fight with Yushin Okami at UFC on FUEL 8 Saturday night.

"He's extremely strong, and he has a long reach," said Lombard. "...He's going to come and hug me. I don't want to be hugged, so I've got to punch him."

Lombard wants to beat Okami, and then hopes for a fight with Michael Bisping, who he will be rooting for when "The Count" fights Alan Belcher at UFC 159 in April.

"I hope he wins," said Lombard. "Because he sucks."

Although an Olympic level Judoka, Lombard above all else wants to be exciting. And he fears Okami may push him up against a fence, and smother the heat from the fight.

"I did judo, yes, but I like more real fighting," said Lombard. "I like to be an MMA fighter. A person that I always wanted to be was exciting and be the guy that people like to see because he punches, not go and grapple people."

Should Okami smother him against the cage, Lombard's concerned he might "become boring, and then get cut because you're boring."

"I don't want to do that. I want to go out there and punch him and be exciting."

"I don't care if I get KOd. I just want to punch him left and right."

Read entire article...

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: UFC   Hector Lombard (detail)

MMOZ site profile image

3/3/13 9:06 AM by MMOZ

Where the fuck was his Olympic level judo? Serves him right for basically looking past Okami and trying to shit talk Bisping.

LOAN VIPER site profile image

3/3/13 7:53 AM by LOAN VIPER

He shall b cut

Wu Massacre site profile image

3/1/13 6:17 PM by Wu Massacre

sounds like he has a problem, he could try a professional masseus or something, i usually release a few times a oh wait uhh what damn, awkward

Wasa-B site profile image

3/1/13 6:15 PM by Wasa-B

I think the Belcher fight proved that you have to be a bit more dynamic in staying outside Okami's jab and clinch. This is an interesting matchup. Hector is a powerful grappler and striker but short and stout. Does that mean Okami's jab to clinch will be even easier? Or will Lombard's clinch defense be better than Belcher. Belcher isnt a world class judo guy but his a huge and strong MW. I can see either guy winning here. Okami should really have not lost the Boestch fight and to lose again in Japan when he normally beats everyone Stateside. I really not sure where Okami will stand if he wins, he has no chance vs Anderson. Id like to see him be able to avenge the Boestch loss though.

Mdson site profile image

3/1/13 4:00 PM by Mdson

THIS!I think Lombard has the tools to stop Okami's game and land that big punch. I'm guessing 2nd round TKO.

duckrabbit site profile image

3/1/13 3:57 PM by duckrabbit

I've been a Lombard fan for years, but I hope it his limited English that is making him sound so simple-minded.

ausgepicht site profile image

3/1/13 3:50 PM by ausgepicht

I don't seea cut in Lombard's future IF....IF BLAF has any integrity and sticks to his word. If he fights like he fought Boetsch, he can expect to get cut, but that fight was out of the ordinary for him.  And they threat title fucking sucks. Yeah, Lombard alluded to it, but the way it is worded made it sound like it's an issue in the forefront. I guess you have to do what you have to do to get traffic and readership right? That's what generates revenue. I'll make a mental note of that and stay away from writers like that. I like sites and writers that let the quality of their journalism speak for itself.

Bat21 site profile image

3/1/13 3:47 PM by Bat21

I haven't noticed a lot of negativity coming from Hector, and as for disrespecting Okami, Hector is a UFC fighter and so is Okami....if they want to trash-talk each other leading up to the fight, that's always been perfectly acceptable, so I don't understand your comment. Calling Okami boring is pretty mild compared to what other fighters have said about each other leading up to their fight.

GOREILLAMAN site profile image

3/1/13 3:47 PM by GOREILLAMAN

Got any evidence to back up this claim?