Renan Barao vs. Eddie Wineland to main event UFC 161

Bantamweight interim Champion Renan Barao is set to defend his belt against top contender Eddie Wineland at UFC 161, which was announced for Winnepeg, Canada on June 15th. The official news came from ESPN's Brett Okamoto on Twitter:

Just confirmed with Dana White, Renan Barao vs. Eddie Wineland booked to headline UFC 161 in June.

read official Twitter...

The event will mark the first time the UFC has visited Winnepeg, but it has staged several hugely successful events in Canada. This will be the second time Renan Barao will have defended his interm title, recently defeating top contender Michael McDonald. Wineland is on a 2-fight win streak, most recently defeating Brad Pickett by decision and knocking out perennial contender Scott Jorgenson before that.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Keith Jardine Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Keith Jardine Action Figure

Slap Maxwell site profile image

3/6/13 11:02 PM by Slap Maxwell

Eddie is good people, I wish him the best! He has an epic mustache right now, I think that will be the difference in the fight.

RKing85 site profile image

3/6/13 10:59 PM by RKing85

Winnipeg is about a 7 hour drive for me. That main event might be enough to get me to make the drive.

Il Duce site profile image

3/6/13 10:55 PM by Il Duce

War Eddie! I love his boxing. So slick.

Sergio88 site profile image

3/6/13 10:10 PM by Sergio88

When news broke Wednesday that Renan Barao would defend his interim bantamweight title against Eddie Wineland at UFC 161, many wondered what this meant for the 135-pound champion, Dominick Cruz. What we know for sure is it means Cruz won't be ready to fight again come summertime, which was what the UFC was hoping for after Barao defended his belt against Michael McDonald last month. Other than that, Cruz, 27, told MMAFighting.com on Wednesday that there is no timetable set for his return. "I'm listening to my doctors," he wrote via text message, "and I'm not putting extra pressure on myself by giving any timeline because it's not possible to do so as of now. Everything associated with recovery/rehab is on track 100 percent." Cruz (19-1) hasn't fought since he defended his belt against Demetrious Johnson at UFC on Versus 6 in Oct. 2011. He tore his ACL weeks before he was scheduled to fight Urijah Faber for a third time at UFC 146 last summer, and then was forced to undergo a second knee surgery in December when it was revealed that his injury didn't heal properly. "I'm out of the equation until I'm cleared by the doctor," he wrote. "Barao is the champion for now, and my belt/title defenses up to this point save me a spot to fight the interim champion when I am healed. "The UFC is a machine, and machines never stop. It's out of my hands at this point. "And yes, needless to say, this sucks for me." Barao vs. Wineland will take place June 15 at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

DukeIsh site profile image

3/6/13 10:08 PM by DukeIsh

That fight was to crown first WEC bantamweight champ. Neither was champ going into that fight.

easedel site profile image

3/6/13 10:01 PM by easedel

Need to strip any belt hold who goes a year without defending, injury or not.

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe site profile image

3/6/13 6:50 PM by HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

First WEC champ? He won the belt from Antonio Banuelos.

fightharder site profile image

3/6/13 5:59 PM by fightharder

Damm that is a great fucking card...there making good on the Canadian market.   Like the match up as well. Looking forward to this was more so then the Barao vs Mcdonald fight (which was not to bad either).

Ceelo site profile image

3/6/13 5:48 PM by Ceelo

Hmm I am on the mix here, I like Winelands style but he got outmatched by Faber... And I feel that Barao outmatched Faber..

Megatherium site profile image

3/6/13 5:46 PM by Megatherium

I'll be curious to see how many of these fights actually remain in place come June. If Calgary is any barometer expect a rash of 'injuries' for this brawl in 'the Peg'.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!