Cruz, Vera cut ties with Lloyd Irvin amidst controversy

Here's what Dave wrote (emphasis mine):

--A major story involving MMA and Lloyd Irvin, who until recently was the trainer of Brandon Vera and Dominick Cruz, is at http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/3/5/4066506/team-lloyd-irvin-sex-abuse-cult-power-medal-chasers-exodus This is a really major deal.

I have been able to confirm through a source close to the situation that Alliance has cut ties with Team Lloyd Irvin. Sources tell me UFC bantamweight Mike Easton will be able to train at Alliance while still training at TLI as he sees fit, it is not clear if others have that kind of structure.

The departure of Vera, Cruz, and Alliance is part of a major exodus that includes:
•Beta Academy
•Jordan Shultz and a number of sponsored "Medal Chasers" from his fighter's house.
•Olympian Dr. Rhadi Ferguson
•Danny Ives' Ivey League MMA

Metal Mulisha Split Shirt

Metal Mulisha Split Shirt

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

Fedors Jim Jams site profile image

3/9/13 9:56 PM by Fedors Jim Jams

now that i think about it, i remember a year or 2 ago they were looking for front staff and marketing help. i have a marketing background so i thought about stopping by and having a chat, but i started to see those ads and i didn't wanna try to bs people.

biggator site profile image

3/9/13 1:35 PM by biggator

sooo many times i have seen instructionals that i wanted to buy but they were FREE FREE FREE just sign up to this and give us this personal info...never did it i even emailed a couple of the guys that were putting them out offering to pay what they claimed the FREE instructional was worth but was told that the mailing list was the only way to get it at this time. i might have signed up but their web page looked like a flyer for a car wash. cheep and easy one page never did it. Hopefully this model of promotion is dying.my roommate in college used to get girls gone wild vids and got screwed. These promotions reminded me of that so i stayed away

freefaller21 site profile image

3/9/13 10:59 AM by freefaller21

http://linmartialarts.comLOL at the limp lloyd maketing BS on this siteDude might be a great BJJ instructor/coach but as soon as I look at a site like this knowing what I know now about the limp lloyd marketing shit I just want to run the other way.Edited for spelling.

Stache site profile image

3/9/13 10:42 AM by Stache

Personally I find it a turn off but the obnoxious advertising could actually prove to be beneficial for other clubs in the GTA if students who otherwise wouldn't have taken up BJJ end up loving it and later leave for other schools. Who knows.Those types of websites scream cheesy scam though, so I have a hard time understanding how they're effective at attracting anyone.

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

3/9/13 10:34 AM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

I doubt he ever had a real connection to LI. Gustaffson is not even at Alliance all the time, and LI just comes for a couple weeks at Alliance sometimes to get some name recognition for being around UFC fighters.And from what I've read about LI and how he's treated Eric Del Fiero and his wife and that Vera is done with him, I'm going to guess Alliance is just done with LI completely.

hammerhurler site profile image

3/9/13 10:12 AM by hammerhurler

The problem with this, and I think it's what Gannon was getting at, is that there's a whole lot of grey area between 'legit businessman' and 'con artist'. Take the real estate example. Technically, any guy who holds a realtor's licence is a legit businessman so that's not a very useful delineator.

Lindstedt site profile image

3/9/13 7:16 AM by Lindstedt

What about Gustafsson?

BigSleep site profile image

3/8/13 11:30 PM by BigSleep

The one part of this I would quibble with is I believe Seats Taken is totally correct about "the rest of the business world laughs at" part.I ran camera for a couple of days for a doc that followed around a "real estate expert" doing these seminars. It was the exact same thing, you pay a big chunk of cash to be there, and there are several levels that you can buy into. They invite the gold and platinum people up to the penthouse and make fun of the rest of the people that didn't buy in.The guys running it were obvious cheap con men. Low rent guys that would have been running a telemarketing scam back in the day. The audience was immigrants and less educated people, a lot of dupes and dopes. Just glancing around the room and hearing them ask questions there were clearly no Harvard MBA's in the room. A lot of folks there were probably putting in their life savings.I did the math and the real estate guy cleared $400,000 or $500,000 during that one weekend. They had a ton of them booked for the rest of the year as well.No doubt they were clearing tons of cash but there were no legit businessmen in the room, including the guys making the loot. They are cons and pretty much any business type with savvy and experience would laugh at them no doubt.Luckily for Lloyd and his ilk, there are plenty of suckers out there, way more than legit businessmen.

newbornbabynoob site profile image

3/8/13 11:09 PM by newbornbabynoob

Based on the emphasis on converting queries to contracts and the new teaching style (more gentle, to retain students and prevent negative feelings, instead of the more traditional martial arts method of weeding out the weak) have probably resulted in an increase in students.But unless he goes full-out cult-leader crazy, like Lloyd, and has the students invest time, effort, money, aspirations, hard work (and all the other things you invest which make it hard for you to walk away) I can't see them staying for long.

2JupitersTooMany site profile image

3/8/13 10:04 PM by 2JupitersTooMany

The truth is strong with Gannon