Chael Sonnen: The single leg takedown doesn't exist in MMA

by Luke Thomas |

I speak to some wrestlers and they tell to me, 'Hey listen, people say the double-leg is higher percentage than, I don't know, a single-leg sweep, but that's not true because it's really a function of the wrestler using it'. But it seems to me a double leg is a more accessible tool to all levels of wrestling. Jordan Burroughs' double is going to be a lot better than your average guy at some MMA gym, but they do work more often. Do you agree?

Oh absolutely, I absolutely agree. I don't believe the single leg exists in MMA. Whenever I teach it, I give a guy my leg. I get all my guys around, they're sitting down, they're watching me in the middle showing techniques. I give a guy my leg, and I ask the group, 'Does this guy have my leg?' and they all say yes. And I say, 'Well look again, does he have my leg?', and they yes, and I say 'Look again, does he have my leg, or do I have both of his hands?' And that's where people start to understand, a single leg, you don't want a single leg. I'll gladly start a fight allowing a guy to have a single.

Is that why we don't see tree-top takedowns or guys run the pipe. Is the single leg just not effective for MMA purposes generally speaking?

It truly is not, and that doesn't mean you're not going to see a guy grab a single and fall down. I know (Yushin) Okami did a couple of real sloppy ones and surprisingly Hector (Lombard) fell right down over the weekend, but they really aren't. I know Randy Couture loved to go to a one-leg takedown when he was at heavyweight, he would come way up as high as you could possibly get in the groin, and lift the guy straight up and put him down, using his head as a lever.That kind of worked, but I think largely he was forced to do that because those heavyweights are so big he just couldn't get his arms wrapped around them. But yeah, you're really not going to see them. You're just not, a guy can hop on one leg but if you get a hold of both legs, there's nothing to hop, especially if you pick him up off the mat. It's just simple physics with gravity.

TapouT Chael Sonnen UFC 167 Respect Is Earned Shirt

TapouT Chael Sonnen UFC 167 Respect Is Earned Shirt

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

tags: Chael Sonnen (detail)

GriffinQ site profile image

3/11/13 4:03 AM by GriffinQ

Weak. Just weak Fake state champ

BadMon site profile image

3/11/13 3:51 AM by BadMon

lol you seem emotionally invested in this.  you have a handicap parking pass, am i right?   I used facts to discredit his position, nobody is taking him seriously except for you now.  Before you hurl intellectual insults, look in the mirror.  You might want to wipe the drool from your chin and take off that propeller hat.  You're welcome.

GriffinQ site profile image

3/11/13 3:42 AM by GriffinQ

You are a special kind of retarded. You said "why do people care about his opinion" . I stated why. You said other people were just as able to give their opinions and conduct seminars as him, as if them being able to do something negates the fact that he ACTUALLY DOES IT. I asked for your training background because you made a post bragging about your own abilities, saying you also could do what he does. You ignore, insult, and continue to say that Chael is ignorant because he had a particular opinion you disagree with.Kindly go fuck yourself now, fake state champ wrestler. People are allowed to give value to Chael's opinion regardless of your feelings on him or them, hence why he's massively respected in both the wrestling and MMA community by his peers and fans.

BadMon site profile image

3/11/13 3:15 AM by BadMon

how simple minded are you?  It doesn't matter how chael compares to me.  my point is that there are better wrestlers in mma that utilize the single leg regularly.  his statements have been proven false by endless evidence in this thread already.   he made another idiotic statement and you're buying it.

Mahakala site profile image

3/11/13 3:13 AM by Mahakala

Single legs still work in MMA.

well rounded poster site profile image

3/11/13 3:11 AM by well rounded poster

Glover vs Page

alvo69 site profile image

3/11/13 3:09 AM by alvo69

Swami Lunchpael

WhoRunsBarterTown site profile image

3/10/13 11:16 PM by WhoRunsBarterTown

The first one isn't a single leg.

rundymc site profile image

3/10/13 9:53 PM by rundymc

Heh, you learn new stuff everyday. Thanks for the info, I'll have to pull up some youtube vids of this.

GriffinQ site profile image

3/10/13 4:31 PM by GriffinQ

What state and what's your name? What years?Chael is a much more accomplished wrestler than a state champ...

MMA clothing and gear