Hendricks: I'm not a trash talking douchebag

Is trash talking a great way to build fan interest in fights, or does it make you a douchebag?

UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has been pulled into some uncharacteristic trash talk with challenger Nick Diaz. However, top welterweight contender Johny Hendricks says he is not going there in order to get a shot at the title.

"You don't have to be a tough fighter to talk trash," said Hendricks. "I don't trash talk because like I said earliuer I have too much respect for everybody. But there is a point in time where enough is enough. If I get through Carlos Condit, GSP has nothing to stand on. He can't go after anyone else except for me and I can't wait for that day.

"I can trash talk, (but) I don't know GSP. I can say he is this, this, this and this, but it doesn't mean it's true. Know what I mean? I could easily do that, but I don't want to be that kind of douchebag."

Hendricks was asked to respond to Nick Diaz saying that no one wants to see Hendricks vs. GSP.

"Obviously, he has never seen me fight,' retorted Hendricks. "Because I knock people out. What does Diaz do? He talks trash, throws his hands up and that's it. I knock people out. When's the last time any of you have seen me use my wrestling? Hunh? Six, seven fights ago? I used it a little bit on Josh Koscheck, but not much. That's one of my attributes that nobody's seen. For him to say that, he's not an MMA fan."

"I know how everybody almost in my division fights... That's what the sport it - everybody getting together. Even though you may be fighting one day, you're stil friends. That's what I think of as in mixed martial arts."

So what do you think UG? Does trash talking = douchebaggery?

Headrush Carlos \

Headrush Carlos "N.B.K." Condit Walkout Shirt

Headrush Carlos Condit UFC 171 Walk Out Shirt

Headrush Carlos Condit UFC 171 Walk Out Shirt

MMAfan1million site profile image

3/17/13 3:55 PM by MMAfan1million

GWOAT list:1. Nick Diaz2. Johny "Big Douche" Hendricks3. Rampage Jackson (love old Rampage, the Rampage of the last two years has been less amusing)

UGCTT_FryedTakayama site profile image

3/17/13 1:46 PM by UGCTT_FryedTakayama

TTT to reaffirm that Nick is in fact the whiney douchebag, even after the fight. Now the Hendricks haters can't say shit. :-)

whoabro site profile image

3/15/13 7:41 AM by whoabro

Seems like a really good guy. I like that.

FinestScotch site profile image

3/15/13 5:42 AM by FinestScotch

Well, ignoring this whole wannabe nonsense, since they're pro fighters... (BZGrappla obviously knows the taste of sperm) Nick Diaz would NOT sit next to Hendricks and not let his feelings known, if they had inverse feelings. Hendricks did. That's all.

Wicked smahtMF site profile image

3/15/13 5:17 AM by Wicked smahtMF

so why ru talking shit like a douchebag? country bumpkin

Rear Naked Chode site profile image

3/15/13 2:41 AM by Rear Naked Chode

Wow, the number one contender is a wannabe tough guy? Lol.

Chiron site profile image

3/15/13 2:28 AM by Chiron

Their elevator doesn't go to the top floor. Or maybe they don't have both oars in the water. Perhaps they don't have a full box of crayons. Maybe they're not the sharpest tools in the shed. Or they're not playing with a full deck of cards. I can't quite articulate what I'm trying to say.

supersonic site profile image

3/15/13 2:28 AM by supersonic

Hendricks is off. The people want to see the GSP Diaz fight for a lot of reasons but primarily because it's just an awesome match up. It's not just about the trash talk. It's about the fight The hype surrounding it certainly heightens the drama but me personally I have wanted to see Diaz and George square off for years

Chiron site profile image

3/15/13 2:23 AM by Chiron

It's ridiculous how people are calling Hendricks a whiner and pulling for Condit because of it. Does everyone forget how Condit was saying how unfair it was that Diaz was getting a title shot back in 2011? Do you guys get on Chael and Nick for trash talking their way into a title shot? Hendricks is stating his case when asked. Nothing more. And the guy is on a streak that's better than Condit, Chael, or Nick put together on their way to their recent title shots. The hate towards Hendricks is ridiculous. The guy simply realized that talking a bit can help him get a title shot since his fantastic win streak alone didn't. He got sidestepped by someone who is less deserving at the moment because they trash talked more. You'd be foolish not to do the same in his shoes.

JerseyShoreTapTeam site profile image

3/15/13 1:51 AM by JerseyShoreTapTeam

This just about sums it up. But, really, did you expect anything different from Diaz fans?