Matt Hughes Q&A: GSP 'can really do whatever he wants'

The other most dominant welterweight in UFC history spent 30 minutes taking fan questions on a wide variety of topics at the UFC 158 weigh in Q&A.

UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes discusssed his current job as Vice President of Athlete Development and Government Relations, Saturday's Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz headliner, and more.

"The wrestlers have the big advantage in this sport," said Hughes. "If GSP's going to stand, he's going to stand. If he's going to go to the ground, he's going to go to the ground. So I think that's going to be great for GSP to be able to control the fight – no doubt about it. I think Diaz is OK in the wrestling game, but you can't compare it to GSP."

"GSP is going to be the faster fighter. So if I was coaching GSP, I'd say, 'If you feel comfortable on your feet, get in and throw some bigger punches. Then come back out, out of range, and do whatever you want. If you feel comfortable taking him down, take him down.'"

"If Georges wants to stand with him, all he has to worry about is two hands. He doesn't have to worry about kicks or knees. He can really do whatever he wants. I don't know what the game plan is, but Georges is going to be faster, and Georges is going to be able to control the takedown game. The advantage is to Georges because he's going to be on top, and most judges see if you're on top, you're winning the fight. I don't think I really see Diaz throwing an elbow to win the fight. Georges has a lot of good things going for him in the fight."

"Diaz is in great shape, and this is the first time that Georges is probably going to be facing someone that's in better shape than he is. So if I was Diaz, I'd push the fight and try to get in GSP's mind: 'Hey, I'm here to fight, and I'm going to try to take it to you.' Diaz is going to want to brawl, so Georges needs to play a smart game and if he comes hard at him, just take him down. Don't keep backpedaling.

"The fourth and fifth rounds could be very interesting because that could wear on GSP. 'Is this guy really coming at me this hard? Is he going to have better cardio than me?' It's going to be really interesting in the later rounds."

Transcription by MMAJunkie

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

RYU Signature Tee LE

RYU Signature Tee LE

tags: UFC 158   Matt Hughes (detail)  video

,DBK, site profile image

3/16/13 4:02 PM by ,DBK,

I've never been the biggest fan of Matt as a person, but I thought he actually came off really well there. Don't understand the dude in this thread ragging on him.

Boners Galore site profile image

3/16/13 3:43 PM by Boners Galore

At least now Mr. Hughes has time for a Country Breakfast!blew name pls inbed!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uOAkAKAvw0

Pessimist_Pete site profile image

3/16/13 10:19 AM by Pessimist_Pete

It's only a matter of time before he gets himself into another bar scuffle, gets sued, and/or gets arrested.

SilverSpoon1996 site profile image

3/16/13 8:34 AM by SilverSpoon1996

Seems like a super nice guy.. Hes not too bright.. and if he is the one that UFC is sending to important places like NY to make them want to allow them to have events, they prob should bring others to do most of the talking. He had no idea what the question meant about mental health. He truthfully had no clue what was asked half the time and just answered with stuff that had nothing to do with the question. I doubt the UFC is intending on sending him out alone to represent themselves, with the types of answers for these basic questions. I hope people don't take my comment as bashing him. He seems really nice and was as honest as possible. I just think that when they go meet the officials from a state and they ask why is going to run the security? Matt answers, you see us out there, we can handle ourselves.

Dead Again site profile image

3/16/13 7:46 AM by Dead Again

What the hell are you talking about?He was nice to everyone during the Q&A.

Shouldhavebeen site profile image

3/16/13 3:44 AM by Shouldhavebeen

Matt, even in his old age, still has no manners... Between this and reading his book, I just don't like this guy.

redrum85 site profile image

3/16/13 3:41 AM by redrum85

That kid has a pic with Nick Diaz smiling!!! Awesome!

Fedoral Crime site profile image

3/16/13 3:25 AM by Fedoral Crime

I thought it was funny that Matt didn't deny GSP was on steroids.I can't remember exactly what his response was but it was something like "he's never tested positive". Translation = Georges takes "plenty" of steroids. J/k :)

Arecsa site profile image

3/16/13 3:22 AM by Arecsa

Who was the dumb fuck calling Machida and Barao boring? I'm sure that fucking moron must post on here.

D241 site profile image

3/16/13 1:19 AM by D241

-when asked who won more fights growing up, him or his brother, Matt answered, "whoever was more pissed" -when asked about Randy's statements and mentioning Hughes' job offer, Hughes advised that he'd basically been retired for a year and had been talking with Dana about that position and prepping him for about a year.   THE BEST PART- -When asked about the Lee Murray incident, Matt was in England fighting Carlos Newton a 2nd time but wasn't at the bar. However his brother Mark was, and per Mark Hughes- "One of Tito's guys playfully rear naked choked one of Miletech's guys, Tony Fryklund(Miletich) not seeing the humor, wanted to take up for his friend and pushed or hit Tito's buddy whom started the playful choke. When Tito caught wind that one of Miletech's guys hit his buddy, Tito went fast towards Miletech guys and Lee Murray had his foot out or got bumped, and Lee Murray felt cornered and hit Tito with a 1, 2 dropping Tito. Said it sounded like a bag of hammers falling." Reid chimed in later adding that the bus that escorted all the UFC fighters to the bar didn't pick them up, so they were all outside standing around and when the police showed up, Chuck Liddell, LIKE A BOSS, went up to a random pretty girl and said, "Would you like to have breakfast"?, to which she replied with a smile, "Yes". Chuck Liddell put his arm around his new woman friend, and walked right past the cops. -When asked about if there was any fights Matt would've liked to have had. Matt explained how him and Rich Franklin were Tuf 2 coaches and were friends but if and when Franklin fought Evan Tanner, if Evan Tanner won, Matt Hughes was going to challenge Evan Tanner and unify the belts. Matt Hughes, LIKE A BOSS, added, "If I was going to fight Evan Tanner for the Middleweight belt, I was going to fight him at 170 to make a point. I'm the welterweight champion, and I'm here to take your belt".   I fucking LOVE Matt Hughes   Hughes vs Royce Gracie Hughes vs Trigg 1 and 2 Hughes trilogys with BJ Penn and GSP   He's been in some memorable battles

MMA clothing and gear