Hendricks: Hopefully I can finish GSP

Prior to UFC 158 Stéphane Patry, former manager of UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, GSPs-secret-plan-to-close-his-career/" target="_blank">disclosed that GSP had a hitherto undisclosed plan for his exit from the sport.

First, he had to beat Nick Diaz. Then he had to fight the winner of Carlos Condit vs. Johny Hendricks, a fight he believed Hendricks would have the edge in. And lastly?

A superfight with Anderson Silva.

Well, GSP beat Diaz, so the first part of the plan was fulfilled.

And Hendricks beat Condit, and UFC president Dana White announced that Hendricks would get the next shot at the title.

"He's the No. 1 contender," said White at the UFC 158 post-fight press conference. "Done. No doubt about it. The fight between him and Condit tonight was so sick."

White said there is not yet a targeted date for the title fight, although he is leaning towards Vegas for the location.

"I was just telling Lorenzo we've got to bring him back to Vegas," said White. "He hasn't been out of Canada in a while."

In fact, the last time GSP fought in the USA was at UFC 111 in March of 2010 vs. Dan Hardy.

"We had two Brazilians (Machida vs. Shogun) headline up here and it was fantastic," said White. "Montreal's a destination. It's a fun city to come to. I don't think anybody comes here and doesn't have a good time, even in the winter. It's cold as hell, but it's still a great place. Great restaurants, great hotels."

"It's time to bring Georges back to Vegas and let him fight someplace else, you know?"

For his part, GSP says he wants to a take a vaction.

Further delaying the timing of the next title shot, Hendricks said he may have injured his left hand early in the fight.

“I think I might have fractured my knuckle,” said Hendricks. “When I took him down in that last 10 seconds (of the 1st), I flared his legs, and they went right into the cage. My finger just went straight down the cage. It was just a freak accident.”

“I wasn’t hitting him that hard. I was scared that I might hurt myself throwing hard. Nobody has ever KOed Carlos Condit, and now I know why. That’s what I was expecting. I knew I had to go in there and prepare for a 15-minute war, and it was exactly what I thought it was going to be.”

"I believe I've got better wrestling than (GSP). I did it since I was 5. I also go back to Oklahoma State and train all the time. So yeah, I believe I'm a better wrestler. Also, I hit harder than him. That's a proven fact, so I'm just excited for the opportunity. Hopefully I can finish him. That's my goal."

What do you think UG? GSP is widely held to have the best wrestling (for MMA) in MMA. But is Hendricks better? And does he strike better too? And if both are true, what is GSP's path to victory?

And what about that superfight still out there on the horizon?

Affliction GSP Team St. Pierre Shirt

Affliction GSP Team St. Pierre Shirt

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

ChaosOverkill site profile image

3/17/13 6:28 PM by ChaosOverkill

Gonna be a great fight, GSP must learn from Condit not to back up straight when Hendricks blitzes. If not for his chin Condit would have been out cold from doing it.

runster site profile image

3/17/13 6:24 PM by runster

i'm stoked about this fight.will be a good one for sure.

ManWithTheIronFists site profile image

3/17/13 5:34 PM by ManWithTheIronFists

GSP's plan is wait till Silva is showing signs of a decline.

Martyn site profile image

3/17/13 5:24 PM by Martyn

If Hendricks went out with the gameplan to end the first in the first two rounds, we could see the craziest fight in UFC history. Put it all on the line for the glory. Its a pretty wacky idea, but it seems like something Hendricks would consider.

judom site profile image

3/17/13 5:22 PM by judom

I believe this will be a super tough fight for GSP.IMO, Hendricks does have better wrestling than GSP. He also has access to top level wrestling in John Smith and Kevin Jackson back at Okie State (together with a slew of top college wrestlers). Both Olympic Gold Medalists. This is a lot better than what Kosheck has access to. In fact, its better than what GSP has access to.Its enough for Hendricks to connect once and even if he does not KO GSP, it will change the whole direction of the fight. GSP does not have KO power.It will be an extremely close fight.

Raezor19 site profile image

3/17/13 5:21 PM by Raezor19

Yes because just touching his chin has earned him so many ko losses.....behind ear one time is not everytime on the chin...

Doem site profile image

3/17/13 5:19 PM by Doem

Hendrix took condit down 11 times and condit got up fairly easy 11 times. is Hendrix a grappling n00b? What happens if GSP takes Hendrix down, is he going to completly outclass him like he did Diaz?

DANA PLEASE CUT NICK DIAZ site profile image

3/17/13 5:02 PM by DANA PLEASE CUT NICK DIAZ

Well, Johnny, I promise that GSP will give you 5 rounds to try.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

3/17/13 4:58 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

Big Hendricks fan and he'll need to finish.  No one is going to outwork GSP for 25 minutes and win a decision.

Argo site profile image

3/17/13 4:51 PM by Argo

Hendricks took Condit down at will ... Condit got up.GSP took Condit down at will ... Condit stayed down.Condit really needs to work on TD defense.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!