Askren offers takedown challenge to GSP, White

Askren's blunt critiques on Twitter have prompted a swarm of responses from St-Pierre fans. Few are complimentary, but the 28-year-old laughs it off.

"I don't event read them," he said. "I scroll though them. But I've got so much harassment from GSP supporters this past week that it's hilarious."

Askren even issued a challenge to UFC President Dana White. He said at the next UFC Fan Expo, he wants to wrestle St-Pierre for $1,000 per takedown. He was even willing to give White, a known gambler, 3-to-1 odds. He got no response. ("Maybe I'll make him another offer – 5-to-1. Maybe he'll think that's fair," Askren joked.)

"I think obviously if we fought, I'd create scrambles I'd win," he said. "And the other thing we saw – and I know (trainer) Firas Zahabi is making excuses – he got tired. He got really tired in the third, fourth and fifth round against Nick Diaz. But Diaz just doesn't have the power to put GSP on his butt or put pressure on him.

"Nick Diaz just didn't have the skill set he needed to beat him. I do"

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

HolyHackZack site profile image

3/26/13 1:43 AM by HolyHackZack

I challenge Askren and GSP to a thumb wrestling match now that its hip to call out top dogs in unrelated activities. SN bet, I dunno...

YouCantHandleMyRiddum site profile image

3/25/13 11:54 PM by YouCantHandleMyRiddum

1,000$ a takedown? As if Dana or GSP has time for this.

BJ_Penmanship site profile image

3/25/13 10:46 PM by BJ_Penmanship

I'll agree fully that Askren can't hold his jock strap.But Kos is about as exciting as Any layanpray meat headed wrestler. Unless you can honestly say it was exciting to see him eat 5 rounds of GSP jabs and mediocre his way through the Hendricks fight. He fell in love with his right hand so much that all he does is look for the overhand KO. Just as lame to me as when he didn't know you could punch a guy from top position. But that's just like, my opinion maan.

InspiritMick site profile image

3/25/13 7:59 PM by InspiritMick

yep

Bat21 site profile image

3/25/13 7:57 PM by Bat21

I wouldn't count GSP out of a wrestling match with anyone. Askren might have a solid wrestling pedigree dating back to his middle school days, but GSP trains with Olympic wrestlers on a routine basis. I doubt that Askren would throw anything at him that he wouldn't have already seen/prepared for. Would be very interesting to watch, though.

yabadaba site profile image

3/25/13 7:50 PM by yabadaba

"there is at least a handful of guys in the world better at pure wrestling than Ben. So maybe gsp, the best wrestling for mma ever, is part of that group. Maybe. We will probably never know." We do know the answer to this. GSP is not a member of the group that are better at pure wrestling than Ben. Obviously GSP is an MMA fighter and not a pure wrestler so the next question is so what? If they fought IMO GSP's dominance standing would enable him to dominate the take downs as well.

UGCTT Molsonmuscle360 site profile image

3/25/13 7:19 PM by UGCTT Molsonmuscle360

GSP has no real training in non-MMA related wrestling while Askren grew up doing it, of course he would have an advantage in a pure wrestling match.  The threat of GSP jabbing his eye socket until it shatters it what gives him the advantage in the wrestling game during a MMA fight.

Zz_JC_zZ site profile image

3/25/13 7:08 PM by Zz_JC_zZ

Well they cut Fitch, so his spot is open.....

rockyrocks90 site profile image

3/25/13 5:38 PM by rockyrocks90

The answer is no. GSP will never be able to beat Askren in a pure wrestling match. Askren won worlds and was favored to medal in 2008, but he looked too far ahead in his bracket; where he would have wrestled the #1 ranked wrestler in the world and ended up losing to someone he should have beaten the round before and had did not get a chance to wrestle back for bronze. pure wrestling is much different than mma wrestling

Dazednconfused site profile image

3/25/13 5:36 PM by Dazednconfused

LOL at Askren having anything for Gsp. George would pick him apart standing. No need to even try and wrestle Askren. And even he did want to wrestle him, he still could. Just time the takedown between strikes. Easy win.

MMA clothing and gear