Hardy considering career refocus

by Steph Daniels |

It's taken me to get to this point, where I'm living with health as a main priority. I am in the best shape of my life, and everything is starting to fall into place. I don't know ... maybe my journey through martial arts was to get me to this stage, where I can approach whatever comes next. I'm certainly feeling like it's a prod from the universe to kind of reassess and look at where I'm at, because I know there are a lot of things I want to do in my life as well, so this might be a good sign to refocus and do something different, perhaps.

I've been thinking about it, and I don't want to think for a second that I'm done fighting, because I still love training and fighting. At the same time, I also feel that there are lots of other things that I should be doing, things that I should be concentrating on in different areas of my life.

The problem with fighting, particularly with the pace and level that I have been, you don't have time for anything else. It dominates your whole life. It's very difficult to step away for a week and just focus on something else. Always in the back of your mind, you've got thoughts of the next fight. It's a constant preoccupation, and I really want to start to look at other things in my life, as well.

What it comes down to, though, is what the UFC is going to have to say on it. I certainly don't know where the UFC stands on using me to fight in other states, because obviously now, this will be on my medical record. I've got a wolf heart, and now everybody knows it [laughs].

Then you have to wonder if the UFC can use me on shows in Europe or Australia, or things like that. Those are also options to consider. I just know that, at this point, I'm not going to have the surgery, because I don't think I really need it. If, at any point, I start to feel like it might be necessary, I'll start considering it. As of right now, I'm good, and I don't want anybody messing with me.

Punishment Athletics Not For Everybody Shirt

Punishment Athletics Not For Everybody Shirt

Venum Dan \

Venum Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy Fight Shorts

tags: Dan Hardy (detail)

deadlysyn site profile image

3/25/13 4:32 PM by deadlysyn

I got to work with Dan a few times, he's an awesome guy and really cool. Sad to hear about his issue what a bummer. Wish him well though.

3rdLion site profile image

3/25/13 4:13 PM by 3rdLion

An interesting article on an interesting man. The Outlaw is one of my favourites, I sincerely hope he can continue to entertain us by fighting but at the very least I'd like to see him succeed in his life goals. Great stuff, Crooklyn.

KidPittsburgh site profile image

3/25/13 4:06 PM by KidPittsburgh

Not trying to be a dick here, but hasn't that been his goal for like the past year? I miss seeing this dude fight.

Hammerfister site profile image

3/25/13 3:37 PM by Hammerfister

Nice work, Steph!

cheesesteak site profile image

3/25/13 3:35 PM by cheesesteak

I wonder if the Ayuhuasca gave Dan the wolf heart?

Outlaw'd by Lytle site profile image

3/25/13 3:27 PM by Outlaw'd by Lytle

I'd like to see Dan fight some more.

Crooklyn site profile image

3/25/13 3:26 PM by Crooklyn

Thanks so much for posting my work!

Humphrey site profile image

3/25/13 3:23 PM by Humphrey

yeah my guess is that if the CSAC won't clear him, the UFC isn't going to be using him anywhere.Judge: so you mean to tell me this was a known issue, diagnosed by a doctor in connection with an event you held. The Physician told him they would not clear him to fight due to the condition, and you approved him to fight in another country because they don't do those same checks? And now it's caused a catastrophic emergency?Verdict for the plaintiff.Don't think you'll see any other commission or the UFC do anything with hardy until he's 100% cleared to fight.

DoomFarmer site profile image

3/25/13 3:18 PM by DoomFarmer

Give him the GSP treatment and just have him fight on the occasional UK card.

SC MMA MD site profile image

3/25/13 3:03 PM by SC MMA MD

Dan seems to have thought this through well, and I respect his decision. Personally, I think I would go for the ablation if it were me since the accessory pathway can possibly cause trouble in the future, particulalry if you develop atrial fibrillation or flutter. I thought that more states required ECG's before getting a pro fight license, I am suprised his pre-excitation was not found sooner

MMA clothing and gear